Rumors, Openings, and Closings in Florence, SC

by The Flossip on March 5, 2011

in Making Florence better,Openings/Closings/Rumors,Pee Dee Pride!,Places to Eat,Restaurants,Rumors

I am going to update this post as places open, places close and rumors bounce around and I will update when they become reality (if they become reality). By reality I don’t mean that your mama’s cousin works for the XYZ Company and they know for a FACT that it is a Buffalo Wild Wings. I mean, there is actually a sign on the door, wait staff is hired and I can go in and order a meal. Or buy something. Please comment about any rumors of new businesses you have heard or openings or closings. Don’t just comment about any rumors you have heard– this isn’t that type of website!

RUMORS AND PLANNED OPENINGS

• Chipotle at Magnolia Mall (outside)
    • LOOKS OPEN 6/23!

• Academy Sports
    • Cheddars Casual Cafe  (Note they do not list Florence in their new location list, but they are on the retail site map)
    • Southern Latitudes in the Old Prime Time Location
    • California Dreamin
    • Fuddruckers (I would actually love this, so easy with kids too.)
    • Pita Pit
MOVING
      • Bean Groovy is moving to the old Carolina Sandwich location on the corner of Coit and Palmetto
      • I HAVE HEARD THIS MAY NOT HAPPEN.

OPENINGS (These are openings since I started the page- most recent are listed at the top)

• Hotel Florence  (So exciting!)
        • “New” Victors (Fabulous!)
        • Dolce Vita in Downtown Florence (Chocolate-Wine-Tasting Room)(They will also sell SweetLeigh’s cakes!)
        • Long Grain Cafe (I approve!  Had a great lunch there)
        • Dollar General on Second Loop across from Rogers (Blah.  Sorry this isn’t more exciting)
        • DA Massimo is downtown
        • Virginia college in the Old Circuit City
        • The Grotto reopened with a twist! It is now a wine and cheese shop.
        • Sweet Frog Yogurt Now with 2 locations in Florence
        • Lizards Thicket
        • Let them eat cake!– a cake store
        • Clay Pot Coffee Shop(Love!)
        • Struttin Turkey (Irby Street on the right out towards South Florence)

CLOSINGS

• Cottontails is closing 1/26.
      • Old Europe (reopened on 2d Loop at old Cafe Florentine location)
      • Is Chutney Closed?  Rumor says its just being renovated.
      • George’s Funnel Cakes
      • Pattycakes– old location and the new location are closed
      • Dance Etc(2012)
      • Robertos (closed for good according to their FB status 3/21/12.) (THIS IS NOW DA MASSIMO)
      • Indian Buffet– New one opened on Palmetto Street near Irby.
      • FatBoys
      • Handpicked
      • Fazolis
      • Smackin Daddies.
      • Dr. Fishbones is closed
      • Artie Macs has closed
      • Books  A Million (Wahhhhhh)
      • Prime Time
      • Artie Macs
      • Travis Jewelers (Sniff)(2012)
      • Shuckers (Now renamed to Cactus Jack Saloon)(2012)
      • Hapi Balance
      • Stuart Lawrence Salon

(I need your help to keep this post going! Comment away! I will put a permanent link in the sidebar.)

{ 1688 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Fran May 3, 2016 at 9:55 pm

Wow! That is where I always shop. I’m sad but if it turns into a Publix that is fine. Anything else well….

2 Knight May 3, 2016 at 10:51 am

@JD: I thought Bi-Lo #5550 was a strong performing store at one time. I can see increased competition from an increase of grocery participants affecting the store. It is also important to note most of Bi-Lo’s store closings in recent years have been across the Pee Dee region: Bennettsville, Cheraw, Dillon, Lake City, Manning, and Mullins.

Publix acquired a Bi-Lo-anchored shopping center, Surfside Beach Commons, in Surfside Beach in 2014. Bi-Lo #5104 is closing, and it will become a Publix. Publix has acquired Bi-Lo stores over the years, most recently in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, and York County, South Carolina, in 2013. I wonder if Publix is in the process of acquiring Bi-Lo #5550.

3 JD May 3, 2016 at 7:36 am

Seems strange considering the traffic that BI-LO gets.

4 JM May 2, 2016 at 12:35 pm

Taco Bell is opening in front of ToysRUs….found on Foundry Commercial site..the company responsible for leasing the property.

5 Paladin May 2, 2016 at 9:56 am

Bi-Lo #5550, Independence Center, 500 Pamplico Highway, Florence, South Carolina 29505-6012, is closing. Several Bi-Lo stores in Florence and Horry counties may be sold to another supermarket.

6 Ashley April 28, 2016 at 11:12 pm

It’s great to hear we are still moving forward even though our population dropped a bit.

7 Josh April 26, 2016 at 9:09 pm

Magnolia Mall isn’t expanding…they want to take the access road out for more outerparcels in front of the mall….rumor is a wild wind cafe in front of toys r us..but that’s just a rumor..

8 Josh April 26, 2016 at 8:03 pm

Does anyone know anything about Magnolia Mall expanding in the future? I remember last year it was announced but I have not heard anything else about it. Also, what is the restaurant that is supposed to be built in front of toys r us across from Western Sizzlin?

9 Tripp April 26, 2016 at 9:55 am

@Lou I know where you’re talking about… The Kitchen is already open. I think they’re only serving breakfast and lunch though. Several of my coworkers have walked across the parking lot and dined in for lunch and said the food is great and price is reasonable. Good little hole in the wall type place. I just wish they wouldn’t have put that awful awning up over that intricate looking facade.

10 Lou April 25, 2016 at 9:01 pm

Someone tells me that the couple who owned Carol’s is opening another restaurant down from Town Hall restaurant on Dargan. I rode by there but could only catch a glimpse of the word ‘kitchen’ in the name and it’s not open yet.

Also, have I mentioned a new little restaurant yet beside the IGA on Pamplico Hwy called Lil D’s Dugout? Really good! They have a facebook page…check ‘em out.

11 Daniel April 25, 2016 at 3:56 pm

@Bryan…source??

12 Bryan April 25, 2016 at 12:06 pm

Publix is coming to Florence! There will be atleast two stores, negotiations are underway. Look for word on this later in 2016 or early 2017.

13 Bryan April 23, 2016 at 8:55 am

Project Tulip in Downtown, 13 million investment and 60 jobs, anyone have any idea what this may be?

14 Fran April 22, 2016 at 10:01 am

Michael E… A few days ago I had emailed Publix and got a response that they are not planning a store in Florence at this time. :(

15 Eddie April 18, 2016 at 10:04 am

We have had a Boston Market before.

16 Doug April 14, 2016 at 11:23 am

I’d like to see a Boston Market. Glad to hear that DQ is coming curious why there’s no Krystal anywhere nearby…

17 Michael E. April 14, 2016 at 11:15 am

Well if that store is being plan there I wonder if Publix still has interest in Florence? Have anyone heard any updates with them?

18 Tripp April 14, 2016 at 11:10 am

FloTown Flow has posted a photo of a banner now hanging outside of Kress Corner for the new Town Hall restaurant. Their website is just a coming soon landing page for now.

19 JD April 13, 2016 at 11:44 am

LIDL is a lot like ALDI. I am surprised they are considering there, especially with a new ALDI opening right up the street.

20 Scot April 12, 2016 at 9:21 pm

This is the grocery chain looking at the Palmetto/Evans property.

21 J April 12, 2016 at 8:43 pm

36, 000 square ft grocery store at Evans and Palmetto

22 Bryan April 11, 2016 at 11:36 pm

According to the Morning News 60 jobs are coming to Downtown, no word on what company it is, just yet.

23 Ryan April 7, 2016 at 6:06 pm

Woodstone BBQ is moving to the former Theo’s location on Irby St.

24 Bryan April 5, 2016 at 8:21 am
25 Jim April 2, 2016 at 11:35 pm

Hancock Fabrics closing… all locations

26 Jon April 1, 2016 at 9:28 am

8 Story Hotel, Staybridge Suites, to be behind Holiday Inn by Home Depot/Civic Center per scnow.com

27 Mark March 26, 2016 at 5:59 pm

@Bryan: The methodology to arrive at the population estimates is explained in the PDF document link below. The document also states, “The population estimates are used for federal funding allocations.”

28 Bryan March 26, 2016 at 9:46 am

Interesting, Florence county lost population. The first time I can remember this happening. How are these numbers calculated?

29 Mark March 26, 2016 at 8:28 am

2015 Population estimates have been released:

Florence County: 138,900 (down from 138,988 in 2014)
Darlington County: 67,548 (down from 67,768 in 2014)

Horry County: 309,199 (up from 298,258 in 2014)
Charleston County: 389,262 (up from 380,338 in 2014)
Greenville County: 491,863 (up from 482,577 in 2014)

30 Ken March 20, 2016 at 8:01 pm

Evans Street extension in the works for downtown Florence.

I wish they could improve the intersection of South Cashua and Parker/McCown drive also

31 Mark March 18, 2016 at 8:18 am

DMC = David McLeod Blvd. It is a limited-access roadway.

32 Scot March 17, 2016 at 10:32 pm

What is DMC?

33 Lou March 17, 2016 at 9:54 pm

@JD March 16, 2016 at 1:19 pm

They won’t allow entry access to that property from DMC…

What?

34 Johnathon March 16, 2016 at 9:34 pm

According to http://atlanticretail.com/listings/florence-sc/, one of the stores in “At Lease”…I’ve heard a pizza restaurant

35 Josh March 16, 2016 at 3:00 pm

What stores are suppose to open at the Florence Crossing area? Seems to be taking a long time to get tenants for the parcels.

36 JD March 16, 2016 at 1:19 pm

They won’t allow entry access to that property from DMC…

37 Lou March 11, 2016 at 10:05 pm

@ Bryan….something like The Village at Sandhills in Columbia or Market Common in Myrtle Beach? That would be wonderful!

38 Lou March 11, 2016 at 10:02 pm

@ Jawaun…..I agree with you. Magnolia Mall is way behind in terms of progress and needs a major facelift and added stores. Decent stores.

As for downtown, I’d like to see maybe a dessert place…not a bakery…but somewhere one can go just for a really good dessert beyond cakes and cookies.

Does anybody know where Smokey Bones is supposed to go?

39 Harry March 11, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Corner of Hoffmeyer and Beltline is SOLD

40 Bryan March 10, 2016 at 11:14 pm

What I envision is for the area off of I 20 Business with Evans on the Northeast side and Palmetto on the south side. That land in between, that’s behind the Nissan delearship. I could see prob two hotels aome condos and apartments and some townhomes and some restaurants and shops going there with streets that look like a downtown area. Now that would be nice. I know it’s a dream but that would be the perfect spot for something like that.

41 Jawaun McClam March 10, 2016 at 8:02 pm

With all the new hotels , am I the only one that feels like Magnolia mall needs to be revamped ? It is a regional mall in a perfect location. Also what would y’all like to see coming to downtown besides restaurants ?

42 Micallen March 10, 2016 at 3:16 pm

@J,

That’s the same article I was reading, and I swear, the first 2 times I read it Florence wasn’t in there. But I see it now (opening later this year.) My bad.

43 J March 10, 2016 at 2:53 pm
44 Micallen March 10, 2016 at 2:38 pm

@J, that State Paper article did not mention Florence for a DQ site. Did you see something I didn’t?

45 Ken March 9, 2016 at 9:25 pm

@Tripp. Thanks. It’s smaller than I expected.

46 J March 9, 2016 at 9:08 am

Dairy Queen Full Service (Chill & Grill) opening later this year per “The State” Newspaper

47 Tripp March 8, 2016 at 11:24 am
48 Tripp March 8, 2016 at 11:16 am

@Ken here’s some renderings and information on the new Judicial Center

49 Ken March 8, 2016 at 8:46 am

Does anyone know how the new Florence courthouse will look once finished? How many floors? Etc.

50 Jeshua March 4, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Work being done on Hoffmeyer right before Beltline.

51 LF March 3, 2016 at 1:23 pm

Pee Dee Mobile Oil is coming in April! No more waiting for an oil change or tire rotation, Pee Dee will come to you!

52 JD March 2, 2016 at 9:40 am

Awesome, as sad as it is, I am actually very glad they are going to finally have a breakfast place somewhere on 2nd loop. All the way up through there, the only place for me to stop for something in the morning is Freeman’s, but I want something savory for breakfast.

53 Michael March 2, 2016 at 7:34 am

A Bojangles is possibly going to be located on the corner of 2nd Loop and Damon. In the planning stages.

54 Tripp February 29, 2016 at 2:55 pm

I noticed this afternoon while coming back from McLeod’s to the office that all of the trees on Dargan Street in the redevelopment area have been cut down. Anyone know why and if the city is going to replace them?

55 Tim February 29, 2016 at 8:42 am

Went to Muscovy’s on Friday night. It really doesn’t look or feel very different from Creek Ratz. The menu is limited but that is on purpose. The owner said they want to keep the menu on the small side until they are more comfortable with it and then will look to expand.

My food was good and the portions very generous. However, I will say that the wait staff seemed to be a little overwhelmed and it took a good while to get our food. Granted, we were a large part (10) but they had orders wrong on more than a couple. I will chalk it up to only being open for a week and would definitely recommend the restaurant to friends and family.

I hope they iron out their wait staff issues. If so, it will be another nice place for everyone to go.

56 Nancy February 22, 2016 at 8:07 am

Fiasco (downtown) is now offering a Sunday Brunch menu. Nice addition to Florence – and they now have a full bar so you can get your Bloody Mary with your brunch. 10:30 – 2. Our meals were delicious and they offer their lunch menu, too.

57 phillip February 19, 2016 at 11:42 am

Muscovy’s Food & Spirits just opened up (2/19/2016) they are in the old Creek Rats building 2001 S Cashua Dr

58 JS February 14, 2016 at 10:58 am

Eyemart express is supposed to open in March along the frontage road in front of Planet Fitness.

59 Bryan February 13, 2016 at 8:57 am

I started a page about 2 years ago called Real Florence News it’s on FB look it up and add you friends and Family from the Florence area. We must get our TV stations back! We must put our so called local stations on notice.

60 Lou February 12, 2016 at 6:04 pm

@Bryan and Jim…….I’m in!

61 Bryan February 12, 2016 at 1:37 am

Jim,
I thought I was the only one who felt this strong about the TV stations. These stations got there following while in Florence, matter of fact the history of WPDE started because Florence area investors pooled their money and resources together. It really is a kick in the face that these stations have abandoned Florence. What can be done? Could the local community petition the FCC and let them know what is going on. Should a Facebook page be started and let the community know what is going on. The city of Florence has more people in it’s city limits then in town on the Grand Strand. Though MB gets the coverage because they are a tourist destination. Florence will never be as known as MB because we are not a tourist destination. Though that is the case the Florence and Pee Dee area has a real population of actual local people not tourist. Granted Horry county is growing and has a permanent population to support some of the changes. Florence should not be placed on the back burner. Everytime I actually think about how the News use to come out of Florence and now MB it irritates me. My theory is, if Florence had a major station devoting it’s resource to Florence and Pee Dee news that station will be the number 1 station in the market because the other stations would be busy worrying about the Grand Strand.While the 135,000+ FloCo residents and another potentially 100,000 Pee Dee residents would probably watch that Florence station that is covering their areas extensively. I say all of that to say something has to be done. We need to put WBTW and WPDE on notice that we will petition the FCC and even contact FOX and let them know we want our own FOX station. The Drs Bruce and Lee do alot for the area…I wonder if they would be interested in getting a local station off the ground and contact a major network to get one based right here in Florence.

62 Jim Strickland February 12, 2016 at 12:26 am

LOCAL TELEVISION AND NEWS: My last comment of the night, PROMISE! How many of you believe that Florence has a local television station, providing news to and of the City of Florence??? Well it may surprise you the number of stations that are licensed by the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) to serve the City of Florence. In fact there are several stations that has been issued license to serve our city. Some stations are LP (Low Power) and others are full power stations such as WBTW, WPDE and WWMB. But here in Florence we get very little news coverage and only a mention during the newscast. WBTW channel 13 is the oldest station in Florence and one of the first stations to sign on the air in South Carolina. They were at one time located on T V Road down pass Interstate 95. The station is still there as well as an array of satellite dishes. But there is NO ONE in the station! They have a news and sales office next to Francis Marion University. All of their operations with the exception of what I mentioned is located in Myrtle Beach. If you get a chance ride down T V Road until you see the building and look at the building and determine if you think it is being taken care of. The other station we think is channel 15, WPDE. The call letters tell the story of this station. After leaving their location on Cashua Drive in Florence, the former station became a church. They now operate out of a small building behind what was once WPDE. WPDE was the first station to leave Florence for a main building in Conway. this is the 1st time Florence got pushed under the bus, WBTW was the 2nd time. Both stations are dominant stations with full power licensed to the City Of Florence and need to cover what is happening here in Florence. At present the FCC list the following channels as licensed to serve the City Of Florence: 13, 14, 15, 16, 19, 21, 22, 33, 35, 44 and 45. I would suggest that we all get together and contact the stations and DEMAND BETTER NEWS COVERAGE of Florence! I also suggest that if we do not have better coverage that we contact the FCC and oppose the license renewal when the major stations license comes up for renewal! The major stations have relocated to Myrtle Beach and are thriving on the growth of that area. It is sad to know how much we here in Florence have grown in the last few years and we are not dependent on “tourist” as Myrtle Beach is. We want and deserve local news!!! We want and deserve a local anchor during the newscast! SORRY for ranting but I do feel like the people on this site cares about Florence and this is a MAJOR issue! Just my 2 cents worth and again I apologize.

63 Jim Strickland February 11, 2016 at 10:35 pm

Lou, I understand your concern about Discount Tire going up next to Panera, But they are building the service section on the opposite side of Panera. I have used this company before in other states. They have the best price deep discounted you will find on tires like Michelin and other name brands. Also the corner of Irby and Lucas Street (Hwy52) is improving. The new healthcare facility just opened and the Ford dealership underwent major renovation and the owner has also added a Volkswagen dealership. Keep growing Florence!

64 Jim Strickland February 11, 2016 at 10:17 pm

Jo, We did have a DQ (Dairy Queen) once upon a time at the Petro on Hwy. 52 several years ago. It did not do well and was replaced with a Subway. Also THANKS to everyone for sharing their comments! Florence is not the same Florence it was 10 years ago! I went to the first “2010″ meeting at Poynor and did not think the downtown could be reinvented. Man was I wrong! Thanks to EVERYONE that has made it happen! This is just the beginning for downtown and in 10 years the Vista in Columbia will be asking us for help and advice! Now Columbia is attacking the issue with their North Main Street and doing streetscaping with a plan they have used before to make a street more inviting for investors. Perhaps Florence needs to make a call to Columbia for our entryways?

65 Michael E January 28, 2016 at 5:21 pm

@Harris I’ve heard that is gonna be a Fairfield Inn!!

66 Harris January 28, 2016 at 12:32 pm

Is that another hotel going up by the Veterans Park behind the new hotel built a few months ago? Construction company is out there

67 Phillip January 27, 2016 at 4:34 pm

the old creek rats building is going to be ” Muscovy’s Food & Spirits ”
they are trying to open on the week of the 7th apparently. ( I assume February 2016)

here is their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/muscovys/

68 KT January 20, 2016 at 6:14 pm
69 Ken January 20, 2016 at 5:33 pm

Burgers & Dogs is mediocre at most

70 Tripp January 20, 2016 at 3:07 pm

BB’s over on Cashua (Formerly Cashua Cafe, etc.) has closed. I saw a sign up in the parking lot at lunch time today saying that Burgers & Dogs would be opening up there in February. They must be leaving their current location on Celebration Blvd.

71 Frank January 20, 2016 at 12:59 pm

Any new openings coming up the board has been really quiet.

72 real pee dee news January 12, 2016 at 5:31 pm

the new building under construction next to cibo is a dentists office.

73 Mark January 12, 2016 at 3:04 pm

@Ashley: The new Delmae school.

74 Ashley January 11, 2016 at 9:21 pm

What was the land cleared for on Cashua next to Delmae?

75 Lou January 9, 2016 at 10:19 pm

Thanks Scot!

76 Scot January 9, 2016 at 11:56 am

@Lou, it is my understanding that their lease was up for renewal and PREIT wanted more money. Pier One wasn’t willing to pay it, Buffalo Wild Wings was.

77 Lou January 7, 2016 at 7:15 pm

I agree with Steak n Shake. Yum. :)

Does anyone know why Pier One didn’t make it here? I never understood that one.

78 Jo January 7, 2016 at 1:29 am

@JM – I’d like to see a Steak N Shake, a DQ (don’t understand why Florence doesn’t have a Dairy Queen compared to some smaller communities that do), and any nice Italian food joint that serves excellent pizza. A Churches Fried chicken or White Castle would be nice also.. Just my food for thought :)

79 Thomas January 6, 2016 at 11:01 am

I’m not so disappointed about the discount tire, at least no more than I am about the Mattress Firm going in front on T.J. Maxx. It seems out of place, but at least it’s something. That area around Panera and Academy could use all the help it can get right now anyway so it doesn’t dry up completely. Also, I don’t think Florence is quite ready for upscale shopping now anyway, not for lack of money but lack of it being spent.
I’d love to see a grocery store like Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods go in somewhere, like the old Piggly Wiggly building on second loop (although I think something is in there now, saw what looked like furniture in it) or the old Winn-Dixie on Irby. Not so much worried about Publix myself. Also think we could use some actual shopping downtown instead of just restaurants everywhere. There’s only so much eating out a person can do.

80 Nancy January 5, 2016 at 7:29 am

@Travis – there is a FB page for Brooklyn South Deli, food truck. The owners have been at several Florence After 5 events and have set up a booth at the Downtown Farmers’ Market. They do sell some of their handmade sauces and pasta…Great food, really nice people so I hope they make a go of it here.

81 Travis January 4, 2016 at 2:04 pm

@Bigl Cool! Thanks for the reply. Do you or anyone know what it (the new food truck) is called? Would love to show them some support.

82 Bryan January 3, 2016 at 8:04 am

I wouldn’t say it cheapens the look, it’s not an upscale shopping location and the Dicsount tire stores tend to look like the surrounding stores as far as uniform design. Just across the street there will be an Aldi beside the Ashley Furniture. Hopefully Florence will reach a point where we do have an Upscale shopping area but I don’t see it right now.

83 Lou January 2, 2016 at 8:19 pm

That’s a shame about a discount tire store going beside Panera Bread. Seems to me like that will cheapen the look of the whole area.

Went to Fiasco’s today and enjoyed it. The food was good. Needs more menu choices but overall a good experience. Was told by wait staff that the company that owns Fiasco’s is opening another restaurant down at the corner called Town Hall. A steak House with some outside seating. Should happen in 2016.

84 BigI January 2, 2016 at 1:25 pm

@ Travis
Yes there is a new food truck operating in Florence Deli sandwiches and great food.

85 Ryan January 2, 2016 at 1:13 pm

It was my understanding that the Five Star Used Car lot would move to the current Five Star Nissan lot. I’m still hoping that whoever started the rumor about the Publix in that area is correct. Maybe if the used car lot does not move there, that area would be further cleared and Publix would take advantage of that land.

86 Bryan January 2, 2016 at 10:52 am

The Mall area suppose to be revamped, with a new streetscape which includes sidewalks around the Civic Center over to the mall and a new entrance at the mall. As far as the vacancies at the mall haven’t heard anything about new stores but the mall area literally receive thousands and thousands of people weekly. If you visit the mall on any given weekend you see countless out of state tags so the mall need to capitalize on that.

87 Jawaun January 1, 2016 at 11:35 pm

I hope to see magnolia mall be revamped , open up stores in the current vacancies. Also hope to see more retail & hotels I’m that area as well as cleaning up the Irby st corridor. Of course downtown is a big goal. Hope to see plans of more things to come , maybe a new office building , and also clean up area around the airport.

88 Bryan January 1, 2016 at 9:41 pm

Discount tire is being built beside Panera bread, with Five Star Nissan moving out to Cashua Dr. I wonder what is going to be going in their old spot.

89 Travis January 1, 2016 at 3:27 pm

I heard a rumor that there was an Italian food truck spotted at the SW corner of Irby and Palmetto. Anybody know about this?

90 Lou January 1, 2016 at 12:42 pm

I agree with Publix and would like to see a Carraba’s as well. I would also like to see the area between the stop light at Cashua on 52 and where 52 and Irby intersect grow. It’s such an ugly area right now and so much could be done with it.

There’s something being built right beside Panera Bread and on the other side of Cibos from where Mi Tierra is going….do we know anything about either of those?

91 Bryan January 1, 2016 at 2:27 am

It would be nice to finally see a Publix, an HHGreg, the east side of town open up to development. So much potential on that side and more development downtown.

92 JM December 30, 2015 at 8:01 pm

What would you guys like to see come to Florence or what type of developments would you like to see in 2016?

93 Shawn December 24, 2015 at 11:22 am

From what I have been hearing for awhile the old creek ratz is going to be something local. A few local people went in on it to lease it.

94 Lou December 18, 2015 at 9:20 pm

I never see anybody at BB’s Deli and Wings when I go by. Is another one about to bite the dust?

95 Jim December 17, 2015 at 4:55 pm

They are remodeling thag Wendys

96 Phillip G December 17, 2015 at 1:02 pm

whats up with wendys on W Evans ? appears to be closed now? I hope we get a new modern one here I’ve been to a really nice one in greenville that i’d love to see us emulate.

97 Bryan December 16, 2015 at 6:00 pm

There was a news story a couple of months back about a parcel of land being purchased in front of Toys r Us for a restaurant, I wonder if this is where Wild Wings or Smokey Bones will locate.

98 real pee dee news December 16, 2015 at 2:57 pm

tubbs confirmed they are not going into old creekratz. lease is too high. they are doing really well where they are.

99 Michael December 16, 2015 at 1:17 pm

I’ve heard that Tubbs Seafood was moving to Creek Ratz building – but that’s unconfirmed.

100 Josh December 16, 2015 at 1:30 am

I’m willing to put money on it that it will be smokey bones… We shall see and I sure hope after checking out their site.

101 real pee dee news December 15, 2015 at 2:06 pm

I have heard that either wild wing café or the new smokey bones restaurant could be going into the old creek ratz location. I would imagine it will be something strong as the lease is high.

102 Fran December 15, 2015 at 9:00 am

Tim…Theo’s was in the old Victor’s.

103 Michael E December 14, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Do anyone know who brought the old Creek Ratz building? The sign says leased and I seen some workers in there!

104 Shannon December 14, 2015 at 5:07 pm

The calzones at Theos were good. Smoky Oaks lasted about as long and doesn’t seem like it will reopen.

105 Michael December 14, 2015 at 12:43 pm

@Tim it was on Irby Street across from Miguels.

106 Tim December 14, 2015 at 12:26 pm

Not familiar with Theo’s. Can someone enlighten me?

107 Fran December 14, 2015 at 9:15 am

Yep Gerardo. They closed almost a month ago. Shortest run ever, I think! Never went but didn’t hear good revues.

108 Gerardo Vargas December 12, 2015 at 8:10 pm

Theo’s on Irby is apparently closed with a for rent sign outside. ????

109 carrie December 11, 2015 at 11:41 am

I agree with Frank. One of the downtown restaurants gives me such a hard time when I ask for no sauce on my sandwich that I stopped going there entirely. Have healthy options and good service.

110 Nancy December 9, 2015 at 10:10 am

@Tripp: There is a nice write up on Fiasco in today’s Florence Morning News.

111 Jeremy December 8, 2015 at 10:07 pm
112 JD December 8, 2015 at 11:58 am

@David

That is Florence, KY

113 Tripp December 7, 2015 at 10:39 am

@Nancy, I stopped by Fiasco’s long enough to pick up a menu on Friday. They were packed when I went in. It’s nice to have several restaurants so close to work now, especially on days like today where it’s nasty out and you don’t want to venture too far. Definitely looking forward to giving it a try.

114 Nancy December 4, 2015 at 4:52 pm

@Travis – We were at Fiasco’s for lunch today and truly enjoyed the entire experience. Make sure you sit so you can watch the kitchen prep the meals, they have a great bar right at the kitchen area. Service was good for opening day, they really staffed up for it. Menu is small, 3 pasta dishes, 2 paninis, maybe 6 pizzas or Build your own pizza. They had 2 salads, cheese plate, meat plate, calamari, oysters listed as appetizers. Any of the 3 desserts would be a nice finish to your meal. We had a pasta dish ($16) and a panini with side salad ($12) plus wine, beer and dessert in order to get a good try from the menu. We both really liked our selections. They do need a little more diversification in their draft beers as they only had Seminar today, the bottled beers are okay while the wine list was reasonable by the glass and had a small but nice selection. Management and all the staff checked with us several times to see how we were enjoying our food or if they could provide anything (water, cheese, etc.) I plan to go back soon and try one of their specials.

115 David December 4, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Smoky Bones position listed on Indeed for Florence.

116 Travis December 4, 2015 at 11:18 am

@Nancy Their FB page updated about half hour ago says they are open today.

117 Michael December 4, 2015 at 9:33 am

New restaurant opening this month at 3810 Pamplico Hwy (next to IGA) called Lil D’s Dugout. Burgers, Hot Dogs, Wings, Fried Chicken, etc.

118 Nancy December 3, 2015 at 3:02 pm

@Tripp – I saw a sign on Fiasco’s back door that said they are opening Friday, 12/4.

119 Jim November 26, 2015 at 6:23 pm

You are so right Lou, Theo’s food was too high and did not taste good. I have only had the pizza and it was recommended by the waiter. very disappointed! Also VERY HAPPY that FLOSSIP is back online!!!

120 Jonathan November 25, 2015 at 9:44 am

Hoping its a California Pizza Kitchen

121 Bryan November 24, 2015 at 11:18 pm

Discount Tire as we know, a pizzeria in one of the stores by Academy and some other unnamed stores on the horizon. Per the Morning News

122 real pee dee news November 24, 2015 at 11:00 am
123 real pee dee news November 24, 2015 at 10:57 am

on a positive note…there will be a new restaurant downtown opened by a dining group from Charleston. should be interesting as Charleston doesn’t play around. Will see.

124 Frank November 23, 2015 at 7:25 pm

Well said about the terrible service at some of these new local places. I am all for supporting locally owned places rather than the big chains but the service at some of these restaurants is atrocious. When I go out I like a dining experience. Ambiance, service, and food should all work together to make it a pleasant experience and it’s the reason we shell out a premium.

I ate at Wholly Smoking a month or so ago and you’d think that the servers, chefs, and management had never worked in the restaurant business before. That’s really going to kill these new downtown restaurants. Maybe they should try and poach some experienced staff from already established places?

125 Lou November 23, 2015 at 7:13 pm

Well said real pee dee news. I have always thought the same thing. If I was going to open a restaurant, I would bend over backwards to make sure my food was great, my staff was awesome and my customer service would be impeccable. Anything less than that is unacceptable yet we see it all the time. I don’t understand it. Sure is a lot of money thrown away to just ‘play’ at having a restaurant.

126 real pee dee news November 23, 2015 at 10:01 am

in regards to Theo’s and other restaurants…do these owners really think that they will last with subpar food, untrained staff and elevated prices? I understand the restaurant biz is very very difficult….but in order to survive, you must have repeat customers. most of these places provide poor first impressions and they lose any chance of a customer base. I went to BB’s deli and wings recently. I thought the wings were very mediocre. Now if you name yourself a wing place you sure as hell better have great wings! I wont be back.

127 Lou November 22, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Thanks for confirming about Theo’s Fran. Rode by there last night at about 8:00 and it obviously wasn’t open so I wondered if that’s what had happened. Not surprised. I went once and would never go back. Their prices were way too high for sub-par food and their service was really bad. The owner wasn’t exactly very personable either. Hope whatever happens there next has better success.

128 M November 22, 2015 at 11:25 am

Any news on the Pee Dee Vipers? Their website is gone and they’re no longer listed on the Premier Basketball League website. Sounds like they’re gone.

129 Fran November 21, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Well they lasted long! Drove by Theos on Irby last Friday night and they were closed! Drove by today and there is a For Rent sing up.

130 real pee dee news November 19, 2015 at 4:22 pm

Aldi is most likely going next to Ashley Furniture.

131 Nancy November 19, 2015 at 10:20 am

Glad for the confirmation on the new Aldi’s store. Hopefully it will be on the west side of Florence.

132 Jessica November 16, 2015 at 3:25 pm
133 Chad November 15, 2015 at 11:04 am

The land beside the Holiday Inn Express Civic Center is sold to be a hotel (Homewood Suites im told) and the land behind the Holiday Inn Express Civic Center is sold and will be a Staybridge Suites (which should start construction soon.

134 Bryan November 13, 2015 at 2:02 pm

There was a period of time in which Florence was pulling the jobs in every few months you heard about new jobs, now for what seem like a few years now things are closing up shop. What’s going on with our economic development team?

135 Fran November 13, 2015 at 8:50 am

@Tim..I totally agree but at least it is going to phase out by 2018 so not all 270 jobs will be gone at once.
That’s what I heard on the news last night.

136 Tim November 12, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Not good news for Florence and the Pee Dee. I think this one will hurt for awhile.

137 real pee dee news November 9, 2015 at 5:11 pm

I don’t see any chain type restaurants going downtown…probably going to stay more mom and pop. that is what will keep it unique. not big enough. I heard the wild wing info through a pretty good local source. I think it would do fantastic there.

138 Frank D November 9, 2015 at 3:48 pm

@realpeedeenews That would be so great if Wild Wing Cafe came to Florence I love that place. Are you able to give us any more details or a hint about the source if your obliged. Thanks.

139 Bryan November 9, 2015 at 3:17 pm

If Wild Wings was looking for a locating I would say a Downtown location would be best, but then again Creek Rats is a good location as well. I have this feeling downtown is really about to take off especially once the streetscaping starts next year.

140 real pee dee news November 9, 2015 at 11:37 am

wild wing café is interested in the old creek ratz location.

141 real pee dee news November 5, 2015 at 6:05 pm

I have a pretty good track record around Florence in regards to potential new business. Things fall through 50% of the time. Its the nature of the business. Look at Publix for example…they were all set to go and then an issue arose with the existing parcel of land. also look at the businesses that backed out last minute of academy center. it happens.

in other news…soccer complex breaks ground in January.

142 Jimmy H. November 5, 2015 at 12:35 pm

@RealPeeDee…who told you that..? Don’t take this the wrong way but nothing you reported in the past really happened?

143 real pee dee news November 5, 2015 at 10:11 am

heard that either carrabas or bonefish will be going next to the holiday inn express on radio dr.

144 Cathy November 2, 2015 at 11:58 pm

I was told by a clerk at Aldi that a new Aldi is supposed to open near Hobby Lobby early next year.

145 Michael E October 30, 2015 at 7:49 pm

Do anyone know if anything going up next to Hobby Lobby and Ashley Furniture? Its a lot Construction workers out there and they are knocking down the bars where the old Lowes garden center was!!

146 Bryan October 28, 2015 at 11:33 am

I agree with the inside recreation facility, either by the interstates or maybe even downtown, but can’t think of a space downtown where it could go. On any given weekend the area by the mall is packed with cars and people. Many from out of town so the mall area might be best. Does anyone know what is going beside the Holiday Inn by the Civic Center. The land says sold.

147 real pee dee news October 28, 2015 at 10:55 am

at least there will be something else that occupies the remaining 3000 sq ft of the mattress firm building. is shane’s vacant? it is listed as available.

We drastically need an indoor sports complex…I think it would do very well in Florence. indoor soccer, volleyball, flag football, batting cages, trampoline, bouncy houses, laser tag, arcade, bowling, seasonal ice skating etc…would need to be a huge building, but would be very successful in the right location and marketing campaign. thoughts?

148 Michael E October 26, 2015 at 8:47 pm

@Lou I Know Right!!!

149 Lou October 26, 2015 at 7:28 pm

Wow. What a disappointment.

150 Michael E. October 26, 2015 at 5:36 pm

Well you guys looks like the spot on the corner of Evans and Hoffmeyer will be a Mattress Firm! http://rivercrest.propertycapsule.com/properties/florencemall/#plans

151 Fran October 23, 2015 at 10:15 am

@Ken, behind Applebee’s on Irby is Apartments and I believe they are for Senior Living.

152 Frank Davis October 20, 2015 at 11:22 pm

Wow who’d have thought discount beef jerkey could demand prime real estate. So much for some nice fine dining in that development.

153 Phillip G October 20, 2015 at 9:24 pm

I heard a rumor that midnight rooster from hartsville is considering opening a location in florence

154 Jonathan October 20, 2015 at 6:33 pm
155 Jonathan October 20, 2015 at 6:32 pm

It is a Beef Jerky Outlet Store going in Academy Center

156 Jonathan October 20, 2015 at 6:30 pm

It is a discount tire going by Panera,
Also something else going in the Which Wich Building, but cannot tell what is is (does it say Beef Jerky??)

SOURCE: http://atlanticretail.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Florence-SC-FLYER-2300-David-H-Mcleod_9x_9x_Layout-1.pdf

157 JD October 20, 2015 at 8:07 am

The project coordinator at the Academy Shopping Center told me that Chic-Fil-A backed out, but that was the previous contracting company that was fired earlier this year.

158 Tripp October 19, 2015 at 5:51 pm

@Fran Med-Enroll staff has begun moving into the Rainwater building. I work for a smaller company that is owned by one of Med-Enroll’s management staff and we are occupying a limited amount of space in the building as well.

159 Fran October 19, 2015 at 2:35 pm

@Tripp…what are you opening downtown? ;)

160 Michael E. October 19, 2015 at 2:01 pm

I’ve heard that spot next to Panera was going to be A Discount Tire!

161 phillip October 19, 2015 at 11:52 am

I heard at one point that chickfila was building a new location/moving could that be it?

162 JD October 19, 2015 at 10:33 am

Construction has started beside Panera (opening Wednesday) for the next restaurant.

I’d heard Smokey Bones, but I think that is rumors based off people seeing ads for the Florence, KY store.

163 Ken October 19, 2015 at 8:06 am

What’s being built behind Applebee’s on Irby?

164 Nancy October 17, 2015 at 7:09 am

Thanks for the information, Tripp!

165 Tripp October 16, 2015 at 1:23 pm

Nancy, no clue what’s going on with old Boxcar 9. We’re moving in next door and were shocked to see the name change this week. Rumor has it that they are tentatively schedule to open between November 5 and 15.

166 Nancy October 16, 2015 at 7:36 am

Who can share what’s going on at what was going to be Boxcar 9? It’s now painted eggplant and the new name is Fiasco, I think, and says Italian Food and Wine.

167 Michael E. October 14, 2015 at 4:42 pm

Grand opening for Panera is Wednesday Oct 21!!

168 Michael October 13, 2015 at 4:52 pm

@real pee dee news, I hear that’s going to be another Cookout (Evans and Hoffmeyer).

169 Michael October 12, 2015 at 7:50 am
170 Lou October 9, 2015 at 7:21 pm

Josh….I’ve been told Panera Bread will open in December by several people but don’t know anything for a fact.

171 Lou October 9, 2015 at 7:19 pm

Frank Davis…..don’t know if they have a website but I think they have a facebook page.

172 real pee dee news October 9, 2015 at 8:24 am

I heard that a new Taco bell is going up on the corner of evans/hoffmeyer.

173 Josh October 9, 2015 at 12:49 am

Sure would like to see some new “coming soon” news around here… Any word on when Panera opens?

174 Frank Davis October 8, 2015 at 10:46 pm

Does BB’s wings serve beer and do they have any sort of website? I can’t seem to find anything online.

175 Shannon October 8, 2015 at 5:43 pm

What us going on the corner of Evans and Hoffmeyer?

176 mia October 7, 2015 at 12:59 am

I tried BB’s off of Cashua today. Very friendly staff and very clean and cozy. I had wings and they were good. I would have to agree with the others about the quietness, I could hear myself chewing at times. The Cheesecake is an absolute must try. delicious!

177 real pee dee news September 29, 2015 at 10:58 am

@tim…banks do employ large numbers of people which is positive for the economy. However, overall where they fall short is in the area of small business lending. If they would take more risks with middle america, you would see an increase in the success of the mom and pop businesses. just take a look around florence, mom and pop businesses come and go all the time. lack of capital is the number 1 reason. banks make it virtually impossible for them. in a majority of these local cases, they just needed another 6 months to a year to fully establish their business in the community. But they never got the chance cause they couldn’t pay their bills.i know several local restaurants in which this was the case. banks only cater to the big boys around here…they forget that those big boys had to start from somewhere. just my opinion from what i have seen in business.

178 Tim September 23, 2015 at 3:45 pm

“Banks do nothing for the economy. They just collect interest and service fees.” Well, they do provide jobs for people. That contributes to the economy.

I will agree that Florence has a higher than normal concentration of banks for a community its size.

179 real pee dee news September 23, 2015 at 10:48 am

That’s what we need….more banks in Florence! Look what bank of America just did. So now there are 3 South State Banks within 1 mile….pathetic. Banks do nothing for the economy. They just collect interest and service fees.

180 Michael September 23, 2015 at 7:32 am

@Lou, I also tried BB Deli and Wings (on S. Cashua). The cheddar bacon fries were good. The wings garlic parmesan wings were ok. But they needed to be cooked a bit longer. Nice and clean inside. Friendly staff. But was too quiet. They need music or something in there.

181 Lou September 22, 2015 at 9:12 pm

Sorry….I meant ‘kind’.

In other news…went to BB’s deli and wings the other night. It wasn’t bad but it didn’t knock my socks off either. I’ll try it again.

And don’t we already have a Dedicated Community Bank in town somewhere?

182 Lou September 22, 2015 at 9:09 pm

@real pee dee news……I’m not surprised either. Ate lunch there once and it was not a good experience. Mediocre is being very king.

183 David Gossett September 22, 2015 at 4:44 pm

Heard that an awesome new community bank is coming to Florence. It is Dedicated Community Bank and will be located near the corner of Evans and Hoffmeyer Street.

184 real pee dee news September 22, 2015 at 4:20 pm

not surprised at all that simply southern closed. went there for breakfast last month and it was mediocre. the bagels were not fresh…you have to have awesome food if you are gonna make it around here.

185 Jon September 19, 2015 at 3:38 pm

@dls..that now open sign is for Which Wich..not Panera

186 phillip September 18, 2015 at 10:55 am

Creekrats and simply southern have both apparently closed shop

187 dls September 18, 2015 at 10:31 am

Has Panera Bread opened yet? Saw a sign that says now open, but didn’t look like anyone was there???

188 Jesse September 17, 2015 at 9:20 pm