Rumors, Openings, and Closings in Florence, SC

by The Flossip on March 5, 2011

in Making Florence better,Openings/Closings/Rumors,Pee Dee Pride!,Places to Eat,Restaurants,Rumors

I am going to update this post as places open, places close and rumors bounce around and I will update when they become reality (if they become reality). By reality I don’t mean that your mama’s cousin works for the XYZ Company and they know for a FACT that it is a Buffalo Wild Wings. I mean, there is actually a sign on the door, wait staff is hired and I can go in and order a meal. Or buy something. Please comment about any rumors of new businesses you have heard or openings or closings. Don’t just comment about any rumors you have heard– this isn’t that type of website!

• Chipotle at Magnolia Mall (outside)
    • LOOKS OPEN 6/23!

• Academy Sports
    • Cheddars Casual Cafe  (Note they do not list Florence in their new location list, but they are on the retail site map)
    • Southern Latitudes in the Old Prime Time Location
    • California Dreamin
    • Fuddruckers (I would actually love this, so easy with kids too.)
    • Pita Pit
      • Bean Groovy is moving to the old Carolina Sandwich location on the corner of Coit and Palmetto

OPENINGS (These are openings since I started the page- most recent are listed at the top)

• Hotel Florence  (So exciting!)
        • “New” Victors (Fabulous!)
        • Dolce Vita in Downtown Florence (Chocolate-Wine-Tasting Room)(They will also sell SweetLeigh’s cakes!)
        • Long Grain Cafe (I approve!  Had a great lunch there)
        • Dollar General on Second Loop across from Rogers (Blah.  Sorry this isn’t more exciting)
        • DA Massimo is downtown
        • Virginia college in the Old Circuit City
        • The Grotto reopened with a twist! It is now a wine and cheese shop.
        • Sweet Frog Yogurt Now with 2 locations in Florence
        • Lizards Thicket
        • Let them eat cake!– a cake store
        • Clay Pot Coffee Shop(Love!)
        • Struttin Turkey (Irby Street on the right out towards South Florence)

• Cottontails is closing 1/26.
      • Old Europe (reopened on 2d Loop at old Cafe Florentine location)
      • Is Chutney Closed?  Rumor says its just being renovated.
      • George’s Funnel Cakes
      • Pattycakes– old location and the new location are closed
      • Dance Etc(2012)
      • Robertos (closed for good according to their FB status 3/21/12.) (THIS IS NOW DA MASSIMO)
      • Indian Buffet– New one opened on Palmetto Street near Irby.
      • FatBoys
      • Handpicked
      • Fazolis
      • Smackin Daddies.
      • Dr. Fishbones is closed
      • Artie Macs has closed
      • Books  A Million (Wahhhhhh)
      • Prime Time
      • Artie Macs
      • Travis Jewelers (Sniff)(2012)
      • Shuckers (Now renamed to Cactus Jack Saloon)(2012)
      • Hapi Balance
      • Stuart Lawrence Salon

(I need your help to keep this post going! Comment away! I will put a permanent link in the sidebar.)

{ 1569 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Jonathan November 25, 2015 at 9:44 am

Hoping its a California Pizza Kitchen

2 Bryan November 24, 2015 at 11:18 pm

Discount Tire as we know, a pizzeria in one of the stores by Academy and some other unnamed stores on the horizon. Per the Morning News

3 real pee dee news November 24, 2015 at 11:00 am
4 real pee dee news November 24, 2015 at 10:57 am

on a positive note…there will be a new restaurant downtown opened by a dining group from Charleston. should be interesting as Charleston doesn’t play around. Will see.

5 Frank November 23, 2015 at 7:25 pm

Well said about the terrible service at some of these new local places. I am all for supporting locally owned places rather than the big chains but the service at some of these restaurants is atrocious. When I go out I like a dining experience. Ambiance, service, and food should all work together to make it a pleasant experience and it’s the reason we shell out a premium.

I ate at Wholly Smoking a month or so ago and you’d think that the servers, chefs, and management had never worked in the restaurant business before. That’s really going to kill these new downtown restaurants. Maybe they should try and poach some experienced staff from already established places?

6 Lou November 23, 2015 at 7:13 pm

Well said real pee dee news. I have always thought the same thing. If I was going to open a restaurant, I would bend over backwards to make sure my food was great, my staff was awesome and my customer service would be impeccable. Anything less than that is unacceptable yet we see it all the time. I don’t understand it. Sure is a lot of money thrown away to just ‘play’ at having a restaurant.

7 real pee dee news November 23, 2015 at 10:01 am

in regards to Theo’s and other restaurants…do these owners really think that they will last with subpar food, untrained staff and elevated prices? I understand the restaurant biz is very very difficult….but in order to survive, you must have repeat customers. most of these places provide poor first impressions and they lose any chance of a customer base. I went to BB’s deli and wings recently. I thought the wings were very mediocre. Now if you name yourself a wing place you sure as hell better have great wings! I wont be back.

8 Lou November 22, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Thanks for confirming about Theo’s Fran. Rode by there last night at about 8:00 and it obviously wasn’t open so I wondered if that’s what had happened. Not surprised. I went once and would never go back. Their prices were way too high for sub-par food and their service was really bad. The owner wasn’t exactly very personable either. Hope whatever happens there next has better success.

9 M November 22, 2015 at 11:25 am

Any news on the Pee Dee Vipers? Their website is gone and they’re no longer listed on the Premier Basketball League website. Sounds like they’re gone.

10 Fran November 21, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Well they lasted long! Drove by Theos on Irby last Friday night and they were closed! Drove by today and there is a For Rent sing up.

11 real pee dee news November 19, 2015 at 4:22 pm

Aldi is most likely going next to Ashley Furniture.

12 Nancy November 19, 2015 at 10:20 am

Glad for the confirmation on the new Aldi’s store. Hopefully it will be on the west side of Florence.

13 Jessica November 16, 2015 at 3:25 pm
14 Chad November 15, 2015 at 11:04 am

The land beside the Holiday Inn Express Civic Center is sold to be a hotel (Homewood Suites im told) and the land behind the Holiday Inn Express Civic Center is sold and will be a Staybridge Suites (which should start construction soon.

15 Bryan November 13, 2015 at 2:02 pm

There was a period of time in which Florence was pulling the jobs in every few months you heard about new jobs, now for what seem like a few years now things are closing up shop. What’s going on with our economic development team?

16 Fran November 13, 2015 at 8:50 am

@Tim..I totally agree but at least it is going to phase out by 2018 so not all 270 jobs will be gone at once.
That’s what I heard on the news last night.

17 Tim November 12, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Not good news for Florence and the Pee Dee. I think this one will hurt for awhile.

18 real pee dee news November 9, 2015 at 5:11 pm

I don’t see any chain type restaurants going downtown…probably going to stay more mom and pop. that is what will keep it unique. not big enough. I heard the wild wing info through a pretty good local source. I think it would do fantastic there.

19 Frank D November 9, 2015 at 3:48 pm

@realpeedeenews That would be so great if Wild Wing Cafe came to Florence I love that place. Are you able to give us any more details or a hint about the source if your obliged. Thanks.

20 Bryan November 9, 2015 at 3:17 pm

If Wild Wings was looking for a locating I would say a Downtown location would be best, but then again Creek Rats is a good location as well. I have this feeling downtown is really about to take off especially once the streetscaping starts next year.

21 real pee dee news November 9, 2015 at 11:37 am

wild wing café is interested in the old creek ratz location.

22 real pee dee news November 5, 2015 at 6:05 pm

I have a pretty good track record around Florence in regards to potential new business. Things fall through 50% of the time. Its the nature of the business. Look at Publix for example…they were all set to go and then an issue arose with the existing parcel of land. also look at the businesses that backed out last minute of academy center. it happens.

in other news…soccer complex breaks ground in January.

23 Jimmy H. November 5, 2015 at 12:35 pm

@RealPeeDee…who told you that..? Don’t take this the wrong way but nothing you reported in the past really happened?

24 real pee dee news November 5, 2015 at 10:11 am

heard that either carrabas or bonefish will be going next to the holiday inn express on radio dr.

25 Cathy November 2, 2015 at 11:58 pm

I was told by a clerk at Aldi that a new Aldi is supposed to open near Hobby Lobby early next year.

26 Michael E October 30, 2015 at 7:49 pm

Do anyone know if anything going up next to Hobby Lobby and Ashley Furniture? Its a lot Construction workers out there and they are knocking down the bars where the old Lowes garden center was!!

27 Bryan October 28, 2015 at 11:33 am

I agree with the inside recreation facility, either by the interstates or maybe even downtown, but can’t think of a space downtown where it could go. On any given weekend the area by the mall is packed with cars and people. Many from out of town so the mall area might be best. Does anyone know what is going beside the Holiday Inn by the Civic Center. The land says sold.

28 real pee dee news October 28, 2015 at 10:55 am

at least there will be something else that occupies the remaining 3000 sq ft of the mattress firm building. is shane’s vacant? it is listed as available.

We drastically need an indoor sports complex…I think it would do very well in Florence. indoor soccer, volleyball, flag football, batting cages, trampoline, bouncy houses, laser tag, arcade, bowling, seasonal ice skating etc…would need to be a huge building, but would be very successful in the right location and marketing campaign. thoughts?

29 Michael E October 26, 2015 at 8:47 pm

@Lou I Know Right!!!

30 Lou October 26, 2015 at 7:28 pm

Wow. What a disappointment.

31 Michael E. October 26, 2015 at 5:36 pm

Well you guys looks like the spot on the corner of Evans and Hoffmeyer will be a Mattress Firm!

32 Fran October 23, 2015 at 10:15 am

@Ken, behind Applebee’s on Irby is Apartments and I believe they are for Senior Living.

33 Frank Davis October 20, 2015 at 11:22 pm

Wow who’d have thought discount beef jerkey could demand prime real estate. So much for some nice fine dining in that development.

34 Phillip G October 20, 2015 at 9:24 pm

I heard a rumor that midnight rooster from hartsville is considering opening a location in florence

35 Jonathan October 20, 2015 at 6:33 pm
36 Jonathan October 20, 2015 at 6:32 pm

It is a Beef Jerky Outlet Store going in Academy Center

37 Jonathan October 20, 2015 at 6:30 pm

It is a discount tire going by Panera,
Also something else going in the Which Wich Building, but cannot tell what is is (does it say Beef Jerky??)

38 JD October 20, 2015 at 8:07 am

The project coordinator at the Academy Shopping Center told me that Chic-Fil-A backed out, but that was the previous contracting company that was fired earlier this year.

39 Tripp October 19, 2015 at 5:51 pm

@Fran Med-Enroll staff has begun moving into the Rainwater building. I work for a smaller company that is owned by one of Med-Enroll’s management staff and we are occupying a limited amount of space in the building as well.

40 Fran October 19, 2015 at 2:35 pm

@Tripp…what are you opening downtown? ;)

41 Michael E. October 19, 2015 at 2:01 pm

I’ve heard that spot next to Panera was going to be A Discount Tire!

42 phillip October 19, 2015 at 11:52 am

I heard at one point that chickfila was building a new location/moving could that be it?

43 JD October 19, 2015 at 10:33 am

Construction has started beside Panera (opening Wednesday) for the next restaurant.

I’d heard Smokey Bones, but I think that is rumors based off people seeing ads for the Florence, KY store.

44 Ken October 19, 2015 at 8:06 am

What’s being built behind Applebee’s on Irby?

45 Nancy October 17, 2015 at 7:09 am

Thanks for the information, Tripp!

46 Tripp October 16, 2015 at 1:23 pm

Nancy, no clue what’s going on with old Boxcar 9. We’re moving in next door and were shocked to see the name change this week. Rumor has it that they are tentatively schedule to open between November 5 and 15.

47 Nancy October 16, 2015 at 7:36 am

Who can share what’s going on at what was going to be Boxcar 9? It’s now painted eggplant and the new name is Fiasco, I think, and says Italian Food and Wine.

48 Michael E. October 14, 2015 at 4:42 pm

Grand opening for Panera is Wednesday Oct 21!!

49 Michael October 13, 2015 at 4:52 pm

@real pee dee news, I hear that’s going to be another Cookout (Evans and Hoffmeyer).

50 Michael October 12, 2015 at 7:50 am
51 Lou October 9, 2015 at 7:21 pm

Josh….I’ve been told Panera Bread will open in December by several people but don’t know anything for a fact.

52 Lou October 9, 2015 at 7:19 pm

Frank Davis…..don’t know if they have a website but I think they have a facebook page.

53 real pee dee news October 9, 2015 at 8:24 am

I heard that a new Taco bell is going up on the corner of evans/hoffmeyer.

54 Josh October 9, 2015 at 12:49 am

Sure would like to see some new “coming soon” news around here… Any word on when Panera opens?

55 Frank Davis October 8, 2015 at 10:46 pm

Does BB’s wings serve beer and do they have any sort of website? I can’t seem to find anything online.

56 Shannon October 8, 2015 at 5:43 pm

What us going on the corner of Evans and Hoffmeyer?

57 mia October 7, 2015 at 12:59 am

I tried BB’s off of Cashua today. Very friendly staff and very clean and cozy. I had wings and they were good. I would have to agree with the others about the quietness, I could hear myself chewing at times. The Cheesecake is an absolute must try. delicious!

58 real pee dee news September 29, 2015 at 10:58 am

@tim…banks do employ large numbers of people which is positive for the economy. However, overall where they fall short is in the area of small business lending. If they would take more risks with middle america, you would see an increase in the success of the mom and pop businesses. just take a look around florence, mom and pop businesses come and go all the time. lack of capital is the number 1 reason. banks make it virtually impossible for them. in a majority of these local cases, they just needed another 6 months to a year to fully establish their business in the community. But they never got the chance cause they couldn’t pay their bills.i know several local restaurants in which this was the case. banks only cater to the big boys around here…they forget that those big boys had to start from somewhere. just my opinion from what i have seen in business.

59 Tim September 23, 2015 at 3:45 pm

“Banks do nothing for the economy. They just collect interest and service fees.” Well, they do provide jobs for people. That contributes to the economy.

I will agree that Florence has a higher than normal concentration of banks for a community its size.

60 real pee dee news September 23, 2015 at 10:48 am

That’s what we need….more banks in Florence! Look what bank of America just did. So now there are 3 South State Banks within 1 mile….pathetic. Banks do nothing for the economy. They just collect interest and service fees.

61 Michael September 23, 2015 at 7:32 am

@Lou, I also tried BB Deli and Wings (on S. Cashua). The cheddar bacon fries were good. The wings garlic parmesan wings were ok. But they needed to be cooked a bit longer. Nice and clean inside. Friendly staff. But was too quiet. They need music or something in there.

62 Lou September 22, 2015 at 9:12 pm

Sorry….I meant ‘kind’.

In other news…went to BB’s deli and wings the other night. It wasn’t bad but it didn’t knock my socks off either. I’ll try it again.

And don’t we already have a Dedicated Community Bank in town somewhere?

63 Lou September 22, 2015 at 9:09 pm

@real pee dee news……I’m not surprised either. Ate lunch there once and it was not a good experience. Mediocre is being very king.

64 David Gossett September 22, 2015 at 4:44 pm

Heard that an awesome new community bank is coming to Florence. It is Dedicated Community Bank and will be located near the corner of Evans and Hoffmeyer Street.

65 real pee dee news September 22, 2015 at 4:20 pm

not surprised at all that simply southern closed. went there for breakfast last month and it was mediocre. the bagels were not fresh…you have to have awesome food if you are gonna make it around here.

66 Jon September 19, 2015 at 3:38 pm

@dls..that now open sign is for Which Wich..not Panera

67 phillip September 18, 2015 at 10:55 am

Creekrats and simply southern have both apparently closed shop

68 dls September 18, 2015 at 10:31 am

Has Panera Bread opened yet? Saw a sign that says now open, but didn’t look like anyone was there???

69 Jesse September 17, 2015 at 9:20 pm