Rumors, Openings, and Closings in Florence, SC

by The Flossip on March 5, 2011

in Making Florence better,Openings/Closings/Rumors,Pee Dee Pride!,Places to Eat,Restaurants,Rumors

I am going to update this post as places open, places close and rumors bounce around and I will update when they become reality (if they become reality). By reality I don’t mean that your mama’s cousin works for the XYZ Company and they know for a FACT that it is a Buffalo Wild Wings. I mean, there is actually a sign on the door, wait staff is hired and I can go in and order a meal. Or buy something. Please comment about any rumors of new businesses you have heard or openings or closings. Don’t just comment about any rumors you have heard– this isn’t that type of website!

RUMORS AND PLANNED OPENINGS

• Chipotle at Magnolia Mall (outside)
    • LOOKS OPEN 6/23!

• Academy Sports
    • Cheddars Casual Cafe  (Note they do not list Florence in their new location list, but they are on the retail site map)
    • Southern Latitudes in the Old Prime Time Location
    • California Dreamin
    • Fuddruckers (I would actually love this, so easy with kids too.)
    • Pita Pit
MOVING
      • Bean Groovy is moving to the old Carolina Sandwich location on the corner of Coit and Palmetto
      • I HAVE HEARD THIS MAY NOT HAPPEN.

OPENINGS (These are openings since I started the page- most recent are listed at the top)

• Hotel Florence  (So exciting!)
        • “New” Victors (Fabulous!)
        • Dolce Vita in Downtown Florence (Chocolate-Wine-Tasting Room)(They will also sell SweetLeigh’s cakes!)
        • Long Grain Cafe (I approve!  Had a great lunch there)
        • Dollar General on Second Loop across from Rogers (Blah.  Sorry this isn’t more exciting)
        • DA Massimo is downtown
        • Virginia college in the Old Circuit City
        • The Grotto reopened with a twist! It is now a wine and cheese shop.
        • Sweet Frog Yogurt Now with 2 locations in Florence
        • Lizards Thicket
        • Let them eat cake!– a cake store
        • Clay Pot Coffee Shop(Love!)
        • Struttin Turkey (Irby Street on the right out towards South Florence)

CLOSINGS

• Cottontails is closing 1/26.
      • Old Europe (reopened on 2d Loop at old Cafe Florentine location)
      • Is Chutney Closed?  Rumor says its just being renovated.
      • George’s Funnel Cakes
      • Pattycakes– old location and the new location are closed
      • Dance Etc(2012)
      • Robertos (closed for good according to their FB status 3/21/12.) (THIS IS NOW DA MASSIMO)
      • Indian Buffet– New one opened on Palmetto Street near Irby.
      • FatBoys
      • Handpicked
      • Fazolis
      • Smackin Daddies.
      • Dr. Fishbones is closed
      • Artie Macs has closed
      • Books  A Million (Wahhhhhh)
      • Prime Time
      • Artie Macs
      • Travis Jewelers (Sniff)(2012)
      • Shuckers (Now renamed to Cactus Jack Saloon)(2012)
      • Hapi Balance
      • Stuart Lawrence Salon

(I need your help to keep this post going! Comment away! I will put a permanent link in the sidebar.)

{ 1182 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Fran October 2, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Ok, may have missed it said already but anyone know what’s going in at the corner of Irby and Evans that they totally cleared? I really hope its not another bank or gas station.

2 M Heath September 28, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Greenville’s downtown is unbelievably popular ….people move here from NY and Florida just for the downtown. I don’t believe people not in immediate Greenville area going to travel to go to Dave and Buster’s vs going downtown. Anderson and Spartanburg and rest of the Upstate demographics are not much different from Florence..

Greenville has more entertainment options in general than Florence so I would think a less saturated market like Florence a Dave and Busters or any kind of entertainment thing could do ok, and they could lower prices some. I think the main issue for Florence is Myrtle Beach is 1 hour away and that city is dedicated to entertainment.

3 Bryan September 27, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Have not heard about an outlet but that would be good if there was one built in that area or somewhere along I-95 in Florence County

4 Darlene September 26, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Has anyone heard about an outlet mall at exit #157?

5 Ken September 25, 2014 at 11:05 am

What ever happened to the May Fly Air Show?

6 Ashley September 23, 2014 at 6:49 pm

I’ve driven to Concord for D&B. People will make a drive for certain things. I went for a birthday trip.

7 JD September 23, 2014 at 10:43 am

D&B’s has lowered the requirements somewhat significantly in the last year. Greenville/SP now fits the requirements.

Straight from D&B’s website:

Market Requirements
Super-regional Draw:
•700,000 to 1,000,000 daytime population (within 10 miles)
•Average guest travels 22 minutes to visit our stores.

8 Ryan September 22, 2014 at 9:37 pm

With American Airlines taking over shortly, we may have a direct flight to Dallas. Chances of that are somewhat slim, but it could happen, and the benefits we could see would be amazing, like you mentioned.

9 Sean Dallas September 22, 2014 at 4:57 pm

@eddie: I totally agree.

Florence Regional is not doing a good job in adding new flights, but that may be difficult given its proximity to Myrtle Beach, Columbia, Charleston and Wilmington — all cities that have some connections to New York, Boston, Chicago and other Northeast cities.

What I’ve never understood is why Florence Regional doesn’t have more connections to Atlanta, Dallas-Fort Worth, Memphis or Jacksonville. Those places seem more practical than New York and Chicago, and could provide some serious business avenues for the city and region.

10 eddie September 22, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Where I have always felt where Florence has fallen short is several things.but the one that stands out is the lack of an airport like Greenville built that has direct flights to places like Chicago and New York and lead to corp headquarters being opened in the area.

11 Sean Dallas September 21, 2014 at 11:52 pm

@ Matt H: Eddie’s comments nailed it.

Florence’s 205,000-people metro will NEVER stack up to Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson’s 1.4 million residents. Lets also add to the fact that the Interstate 85 corridor has very quick and easy access to Atlanta and Charlotte — two VERY large metros that have residents with expendable income and secondary homes in the Greenville metro. Not to mention, the city continues to chart incredible high-tech job growth that pays larger salaries than what you would find in Florence.

Another factor that weighs heavily in these decisions is personal income.

Greenville residents have a lot of it, where as Florence, while growing, simply does not meet such a threshold, period. While just offering arcade games and food, it’s still an upscale venue — meaning the company needs to be an area where there are a lot of people in the surrounding communities with expendable income. To achieve that, they look beyond Greenville and Greenville County, they include municipalities in Spartanburg and Anderson counties. If you’ve driven I-85, think of the all the growth along that corridor. These cities have practically blended together, thus making them attractive for a venue like this.

Now, think about metro Florence and her surrounding counties.

Even if we lumped Myrtle Beach into the mix, (and some brokers, I understand, have tried), we still wouldn’t have an ice cube’s chance in Hades because we are incredibly rural, more than 35 percent of our region’s population is living below the poverty line, and the Dave and Buster’s brand is not widely known in this area.

Now, with that said, stranger things have happened.

If Florence were to offer incentives to Dave and Busters, they could come, but I seriously doubt that would happen because it would be difficult for them to make the numbers work (businesses still have to post a profit).

All-in-all, I stand behind my previous comments: This region will continue to stay off the radar of such an establishment until our region addresses quality job growth, makes more significant strides in redeveloping her assets (i.e. downtown Florence, historic neighborhoods, urban mixed-use zoning), and looks bigger on paper by aggressively annexing some of these county neighborhoods in zip codes with big money.

12 Matt H September 21, 2014 at 3:58 pm

I doubt people living over 1 hour away in Oconee county, and over in Union, etc are going to be coming to Greenville for this Dave and Busters. They are more likely to go downtown or the mall if they make that drive. It is around 400,000 people in Greenville metro.

13 eddie September 21, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Greenville is the largest city in the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson Combined Statistical Area. According to GSA Business Market Facts, the CSA had a population of 1,438,550 as of 2013, putting it in the position of largest in the state.

14 Matt H September 21, 2014 at 11:09 am

@JD and Sean Dallas,

A Dave and Busters is being built in Greenville right now on Woodruff road behind the movie theatre…it has been known they were coming here since 2008. I don’t think Greenville metro close to 1.5 million.

I don’t see why one could not do well in Florence….it is just a restaurant with arcade and other games.

15 Lou September 15, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Anyone know anything about the lot being cleared on Cashua right at Hwy. 52? It’s right beside Florence Concrete Products.

16 Bryan September 11, 2014 at 11:56 am

Ok, I hope this is true, along with the HHGregg rumor.

17 Ken September 10, 2014 at 9:54 pm

The source is from a rival company, Bryan.

18 Bryan September 10, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Costco, on Ebenezer Rd…unless it’s on that huge piece of land right beside I-95 off Hoffmeyer I can’t picture one on that Rd. Where did you here this from Ken?

19 Ken September 9, 2014 at 7:36 am

I have been told that Costco is looking to build a store somewhere on Ebenezer Road.

20 Jon September 8, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Correction: A Fox and Hound Restaurant..and the Vitamin Shop has been renamed?

21 Jon September 8, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Also looking at the site plan, and aerial photos of magnolia mall, they list a Fox’s Den restaurant where Mellow Mushroom is.

22 Charles September 8, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Chick Fil A isn’t moving. Burger King will be tore down and Cfa will be rebuilt as a sit down on both sites.

23 real pee dee news September 8, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Chick-Fil-A is leaving from in front of the mall and will be building on academy site…eat in site.

24 Jason September 7, 2014 at 7:27 pm

A Fast Track Conv Store at Hoffmeyer/Ebenezer

25 Ashley September 7, 2014 at 8:10 am

Does anyone know what’s being built on the corner of Ebenezer and Hoffmeyer Rd.?

26 Jim September 6, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Chick fil A leaving from outside the mall?. http://www.preit.com/leasing/detail/plans/29

27 Jim September 5, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Panera Bread is now on the site plan to be placed at the corner of Woody Jones and David McLeod in front of Academy.

28 Ken September 3, 2014 at 6:31 pm

The Swamp Bar & Grill has the best hot wings around.

29 Fran September 3, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Rode by where Bean Groovy was supposed to go and didn’t at Coit and Palmetto. There is a sign that its going to be Adele’s or someone’s Hair Salon.

30 Lou August 28, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Sweet Marie’s is closing. Their last day is August 30th.

31 real pee dee news August 22, 2014 at 10:04 am

i have been in contact with The Fresh Market and they have interest in the Florence market!!!They have 2 down on the grand strand now and would love to come to the Pee Dee. Its great news…but could take awhile.

32 Austin August 20, 2014 at 4:23 pm

I agree with the Eastside comment! Walmart should buy the old “El Toril” restaurant next to family dollar and put the Walmart Grocery there. That location is almost 5 acres like the site behind walgreens.

33 Bryan August 20, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Quick Trip should purchase the abandon Sav-Way gas station across from Carolinas Hospital that would be a good location

34 Michael E August 20, 2014 at 12:47 pm

I also heard today that. Quick Trip gas station was coming on the corner of ebenezer/pine needles next to Jiffy Lube.

35 Bryan August 20, 2014 at 10:51 am

I can’t stress this enough, the Far East side of town needs a grocery store, with FMU, the Country Club of SC that area could use a grocery store and some other retail options.

36 Michael E August 20, 2014 at 10:12 am

I see that they started on the Mcallister Deli project.

37 Fran August 20, 2014 at 8:58 am

Great…NOT! Just what we don’t need is more Wal-marts! Come on Florence, how about some creativity and get some new types of places here instead of just wal-marts, dollar stores and gas stations??

38 Lou August 19, 2014 at 7:48 pm

According to Stephano’s, they will be opening hopefully by the first of the year at the Old Athens place. It will be more of a sandwich place like Pee Dee News says and more of a pick it up and go kind of thing. No wait staff. They will cater too if I remember correctly. Tentatively named Cibo’s (pronounced Cheebo’s).

39 Ashley August 19, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Thank you Michael for sharing the article. I was coming on the page to do just that. Needed to clear up what’s going on. There is rumor that Florence will get 2 more of these stand alone Wal-Mart Markets.

40 Michael August 19, 2014 at 3:35 pm

OK, so it’s official… Walmart Neighborhood Grocery is going behind/beside Walgreens, not on Ruby’s corner.

41 real pee dee news August 19, 2014 at 11:16 am

stefano’s purchased the old athens building….so i would say they are going to open at celebration. i heard mostly lunch type menu and pastries/desserts. they would do much more business there than downtown.

42 Lou August 16, 2014 at 10:54 pm

I was in Mi Tierra tonight and was told by 2 separate employees that they have no plans to move anywhere. Guess they could be trying to keep it under wraps but don’t know why it would be such a secret.

43 Tim August 15, 2014 at 8:54 am

I don’t think Stefano’s is opening on Celebration. From what I’ve heard they are going to open a downtown location but haven’t heard about anything out on the West side. Good news about Bonefish if true. Having options is never a bad thing.

44 Josh August 14, 2014 at 9:10 pm

I was informed a Dunkin Donuts will be built out on 52. Not sure if that’s the location you’re referring to though Bryan.

45 Bryan August 14, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Construction has started on the land beside the Comfort Suites on Hwy 52. Does anyone know what is going there.

46 Lou August 14, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Good to hear about Bonefish. Something else I’d like to see us get is a Yamato’s but thinking that’s not very likely. Would also still like to see a Carraba’s. And Southern Latitude’s…..I guess that one has officially bitten the dust; has anyone heard? Lastly, does anyone know if it is still on for Stephano’s to open on Celebration as well?

47 real pee dee news August 14, 2014 at 9:44 am

Mi tierra will be building a free standing restaurant on Celebration soon.

48 real pee dee news August 12, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Publix is not coming…just rumors…bonefish is back in the market.

49 Tim August 12, 2014 at 9:17 am

Bryan, how do you know there isn’t someone like that on this board? ;)

50 Bryan August 11, 2014 at 11:48 am

I wish one of us on this board had some inside person, friend or family that work in Florence County Planning then we would know for sure what those projects are.

51 William August 11, 2014 at 10:21 am

I went to Publix FB page and submitted the question of a location here in Florence. They answered by saying that there were no plans for Florence right now.

52 Ryan August 10, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Per Walgreens employee: Walmart Express behind/beside Walgreens, and Publix at Ruby’s Corner.

53 JD August 7, 2014 at 10:38 pm

At the corner of 2nd loop and cashua across from Walgreens and CVS (where the old houses are), there is a red sign now that says Stop Work.

What is going on? Endangered species? Squatters in the old house? What’s up?

54 Austin August 7, 2014 at 9:16 pm

I hope they put a turn lane on second loop to help alleviate traffic jams for those seeking to turn onto s. cashua. I brought this up with Wukela a couple years ago. Now is the time to do it before ruby’s corner gets redeveloped. The traffic backs all the way up to Hoffman and Hoffman!!!

55 Lou August 7, 2014 at 8:14 pm

For what this is worth, have just been told by someone who should know that Wal-Mart Express is going at Miss Ruby’s site and across the street, behind Walgreen’s, will be a gas station that is a part of the Wal-Mart Express.

56 Tripp August 7, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Does anyone know if Creek Ratz is moving? Their building is listed on Palmetto Commercial Realty as being for sale/lease.

57 Ken August 6, 2014 at 4:50 pm

They need to look into widening alligator Road. There is a lot of growth going on out there.

58 Bryan August 5, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Drove by the area off 2nd loop and Cashua and the land that they have cleared is huge so, it does look like it could be a big box store on another note the new Hope Helath facility looks to start building soon on North Irby at the end of Sumter st.

59 Michael E July 30, 2014 at 1:44 pm

I see the Palmetto Commercial Real Estate sign next to.Holiday Inn Express on Radio Dr. has SOLD on it, Anyone heard whats going there?

60 Tim July 30, 2014 at 10:52 am

I see land is being cleared and prepped at the corner of Ebeneezer and Pine Needles, just adjacent to the Jiffy Lube there. Has anyone heard what might be going there?

61 Maria Gonzales July 29, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Anyone else experience any racism at Party Maxx in Florence. I cannot believe the way I was talked to today.

62 Tim July 29, 2014 at 3:40 pm

The Wal-Mart info comes from another poster on this site. The Publix info was given to me by a client. I’m not saying this is 100% true. All I’m saying is this is the information that I’ve heard. It is hard to believe that we could potentially have 2 grocery stores and 3 pharmacies within 100 yards of each other. SMH

63 real pee dee news July 29, 2014 at 2:49 pm

what a traffic nightmare to an already congested intersection. so many other and better locations for Publix to go…they must have gotten a deal on the land since its been for sale for over 10 years! wait til cashua widens!!!

64 Fran July 29, 2014 at 2:41 pm

@Tim…thank you! I’ll have to drive down Cashua and see that space. I thought there is a strip/stores next to Walgreens. Didn’t realize there was room behind for a large grocery store.

@Judy..who knows, every time I drive by it doesn’t look like they have done a thing in the Old Blockbusters. Looks the same since they moved out.

65 Bryan July 29, 2014 at 1:20 pm

If all this is true what “may” go at that intersection that would be alot. Tim…who is saying all of this, is it contractors, city officials?

66 Tim July 29, 2014 at 11:25 am

Fran, from what I’ve gleaned, the new Walmart Neighborhood Market will be on Ms. Ruby’s site, across Cashua from CVS. The rumored Publix will be behind Walgreen’s.

67 Judy July 29, 2014 at 10:10 am

Anyone know when McAlister’s will open?

68 Fran July 29, 2014 at 9:46 am

Ok, I’m confused now. Are you all talking about the same spot or two different from Ms Ruby’s? I can’t picture a place behind or next to Walgreens on 2nd and Cashua. I thought Walmart grocery/pharmacy was suppose to go on Ms Ruby’s corner. I would love a Publix anywhere!

69 Tim July 28, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Cindy, I have not heard anything definite but I have heard a rumor that that is where Publix is going to go. Sort of an “L” shaped lot behind Walgreen’s with entrance on Cashua and Second Loop. But, that’s all hearsay at the moment.

70 Cindy July 28, 2014 at 11:31 am

What is going to be built on the land behind Walgreen’s and second loop rd ? The people in those surrounding homes want to know what will be in their back yards!!!!!

71 Pat July 24, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Harvest Moon Soapworks is closing in Downtown, end of July, first part of August

72 Bryan July 24, 2014 at 4:26 pm

What is really needed is a grocery store on the west side of 95 preferably near the Hoffmeyer Rd area. With the scholl that have been recently built and the multiple family housing that suppose to be built out that way that would be a great location.

73 Tim July 24, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Michael and others, thanks for the information. Do we really need another Wal Mart of any sort in town? Yes, it’s rhetorical question.

Any other news that you’ve heard? I don’t have anything new on the downtown efforts.

74 Michael July 24, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Tim, I have sources too telling me it’s going to be Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market (& Pharmacy). It’s about 1/5 the size of a “normal” Wal-Mart.

75 Fran July 24, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Same here Tim..wondering about that. Smoky Oak Taproom will be open in time for College Football ;)
Not sure what there will be like since I’ve never been to the one in James Island.

76 Tim July 24, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Has anyone visited the Swamp bar on Palmetto? I’m wondering what it’s like. I’m looking for additional places to watch a game and grab a beer.

77 Fran July 24, 2014 at 10:16 am

I would much rather have a Publix there. Walmart has enough places in town, imho!
True, that intersection will be a mess no matter what “big” store goes in there.

78 Tim July 24, 2014 at 8:40 am

Either way, it’s going to increase traffic at that intersection. Definitely will be interesting.

79 Jon July 23, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Heard in Walmart yesterday about the Walmart Market going there..haven’t heard of a Public tgough

80 Tim July 23, 2014 at 3:21 pm

@Jon, are we certain of that? I had also heard about a Publix in the same location.

81 Jon July 23, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Walmart Market and Pharmacy…see two posts down..going where Ruby’s was

82 Tim July 23, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Land near Ms. Ruby’s place, corner of Cashua and Second Loop, being cleared as we speak. Lots of activities there. Anyone know what, if anything, is going on there?

83 real pee dee news July 22, 2014 at 10:58 am

we sure could use another fine dining establishment…especially for a town the size of florence…victors is nice but gets pretty loud at times. any thoughts?

84 Michael E. July 20, 2014 at 5:23 pm

I heard today that Walmart Market Grocery & Pharmacy is going to built on the corner of Second Loop & S.Cashua in front of the CVS!!

85 Tommy Crayton July 20, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Excellent!!!!!! Even more chains coming!!!!

86 Jon July 19, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Bojangles is hiring a manager for a new location on Indeed. Looks like the Bojangles is joining the Murphys Express where Percy and Willie’s sat.

87 Bryan July 19, 2014 at 11:44 am

Hwy 327 is really about to expand with restaurants and hotels since the exit has been reconfigured, I even imagine in the future you will see maybe a Grocery Store or other shops, homes and retails. Since that is the main thoroughfare for people to get to the beach and the businesses that are out there at Touchstone Commerce City.

88 Jon July 18, 2014 at 6:29 pm

A Subway is being built by the Waffle House on 327

89 Michael E. July 18, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Do anyone know what is being built between Zaxbys and The Waffle House on hwy 327?

90 Lou July 16, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Anyone know anything about the place located in the same shopping center as Pretty ‘n Bliss called Southern Cooking? That might not be the name; it could be a description of the place and the sign for the name hasn’t been installed yet.

91 Bryan Wilson July 16, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Underarmour is looking for a distribution center in the Southeast, Florence would make a great location. I sent an email to NESA and told them they may want to contact them and let them know about the Florence area.

92 Tim July 16, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Anyone know when the brewpub is scheduled to open downtown?

93 Jon July 16, 2014 at 12:53 pm

A 2nd Stafanos location is moving where Athens was

94 Tripp July 16, 2014 at 11:42 am

I’m surprised at Rue 21 looking to move INSIDE the mall. I guess whatever works for them. I stopped shopping their brands a long time ago. The clothes don’t hold up in the washer. Plato’s Closet is definitely a good fit and will save people from having to go to the beach to shop. Really don’t care for the gas station going up on the old Percy’s site. It’s a prime location that could easily go to something better.

A coworker was at the main Sweet location earlier this week and heard they are planning to try to move to their new location near Academy next month. According to the master plan for the Academy site, there are still several buildings that have not been constructed yet, including the one immediately adjacent to Academy Sports that will house Party City and a smaller suite next to it for another retailer. I’m wondering when those will come to fruition?

I noticed on Monday that there are stakes/survey markers in the ground on the lot that houses the Old Athens Restaurant. Does anyone know if it is going to be remodeled for something else or completely demolished?

95 Jon July 15, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Construction bids have been made for a”Platos Closet” at Commons at Magnolia, and a Rue 21 at Magnolia Mall. Also for Murphy Express at former Percy’s and Willies site.

96 Fran July 14, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Just got an email that Harvest Moon Soapworks is closing on July 31st. Gezz, just after they opened their new place on Evans Street. I’m going to be sad to see them close.

97 Fran July 8, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Saw on FB that Smoky Oaks Taproom is shooting for towards the end of August opening.

98 Bryan July 5, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Made a comment on the Publix Grocery Facebook regarding how there are opening all over even in smaller cites than Florence and the response I received ” We are going to be opening a new store in North Myrtle Beach, according to Google Maps is only a 25 mins commute” I was like really…really with this being their response I would not expect a Publix to come to Florence for a couple of years. They haven’t even done research on our location. I explained to them that they are opening up locations in cites that are smaller than Florence…we will see!

99 Tripp Carter June 27, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Sweet announced on their FB page yesterday that they are opening a second location in Florence at the new McLeod concourse. They’re currently looking for full-time and part-time employees. Below is the message posted on Facebook.

“Sweet
16 hours ago
**HIRING**

As some of you may know, we are opening up our second location in Florence in the new McLeod concourse in August. We are looking to hire part-time and full-time help! Please send us your resume to yum@sweetacupcakecompany.com or bring it by the shoppe!”

100 Jay June 27, 2014 at 11:28 am

I here the tire shop on Irby street is going to be a plumbing bussiness.

101 Tim June 27, 2014 at 11:15 am

JD, McAllisters is going into the old Blockbuster building.

102 JD June 26, 2014 at 9:38 pm

I saw the McAlister’s Deli sign right by Harris Teeter.

Is it going in at 5-points?

103 Tripp Carter June 26, 2014 at 11:56 am

Krispy Kreme on Irby Street will be closing this weekend. :’( http://www.scnow.com/news/business/article_e4681ac6-fd44-11e3-a7ed-001a4bcf6878.html

104 Tim June 25, 2014 at 2:35 pm

I see that the tire store on Irby, just up from the comic book shop, is sold. Anyone have any idea of what may go there?

105 Fran June 24, 2014 at 2:09 pm

I totally agree with the idea of a few more fine dining places. Competition is good and personally think Victors needs some…won’t go into why though. As for a B&B maybe downtown or close where people would have a 2nd choice of a place to stay, other than Hotel Florence, if going to the FMPAC or the FLT from out of town.

106 real pee dee news June 24, 2014 at 12:34 pm

florence needs 2-3 more fine dining options especially for its size. Victors is great but the only game in town right now. We need another fine italian restaurant to replace Massimos… And then maybe another similar to victors but with a different menu. Would a B&B with a restaurant do well in Downtown?

107 Fran June 23, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Spoiler Alert…any idea where on 52??? I would love to see them somewhere towards South Florence!

Evans isn’t bad, but closer would be better and probably more dangerous

108 Spoiler Alert June 23, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Dunkin Donuts location will be built on 52

109 Fran June 23, 2014 at 11:50 am

Saw in the paper yesterday and rode by…Old Cactus Jacks? on Irby is going to be Smoky Oak Taproom.
There is one in Charleston I believe and they have already started renovations. New rails on the outside decks, only thing I could see as I rode by. Hopefully they will be able to make it there.

110 JD June 22, 2014 at 12:17 am

Yeah Dave and Busters is a 0% chance.
I couldn’t even talk them into one in Greenville of all places.

About the Academy complex:
Sweet is in August.
Panera is still coming, but a bit later (contract negotiations had to be settled about direct competition).
Bonefish out.
Radio Shack out.
2 spaces available – Talking to J. Peters and a Mexican chain right now.
Party City may be out (still in limbo). Academy was only giving them a short term lease anyways, and will probably just expand their warehouse, especially since they are doing ridiculously well right now.

111 Bryan June 21, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Exactly Sean David,

I knew this was BS from the start, Columbia, Charleston and Greenville do not have Dave and Buster’s so I wish people will stop spreading rumors about that. Like Herman Cain once said….”It’s not gonna happen!” In other news I believe the new Food company opening up in Commerce City is just the beginning for the area out that way. The area is already receiving lots of traffic from beach traffic it’s just a matter of time before that area is exploding with residential commercial development.

112 Sean Dallas June 20, 2014 at 3:46 pm

I’m a recently retired CRE broker that moved to Florence a couple of months ago.

I dealt with Dave & Busters in my past life while working in the DC suburbs, and I have to call BS on that piece of news.

The chance Florence has in getting a Dave & Busters is about as much as an ice cube’s chance in hell. Dave & Busters will ONLY look at a city/metro area that has a population exceeding 1.5 million people.

Metro Florence (Florence and Darlington counties) barely exceeds 200,000 — meaning Dave & Busters wouldn’t waste their time.

There’s some logic in some of the other rumors, but Dave & Busters … never. This area is too small and wwwwaaaayyyy too poor to sustain a Dave and Busters. Heck, the chances of a Dave & Busters coming to South Carolina at all is very slim.

113 Fran June 20, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Good news! I posted on Panera Bread’s FB page that I had heard they were coming to Florence Crossing, local ads were being shown on TV but then nothing. This is their response…

” It looks like we’re still planning on opening in Florence, however we don’t have an opening date quite yet. Hopefully we’ll have new info to share soon! ”

I’m a happy camper

114 Jon June 19, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Conns is about to open beside Big Lots/ Percy and Willies has been completed torn down for the rumored gas station, and the only sign up by the new buildings by Academy is for Sweet Cupcake Company….wonder when Party City and the rest will start?

115 Fran June 19, 2014 at 4:31 pm

NW that is going to be a Walgreens. If your talking across Irby from the CVS.

Been quiet I guess cause not much happening right now

116 Tim June 19, 2014 at 8:45 am

NW, looks like it’s going to be a Walgreens or CVS pharmacy. As for the deadness of this forum, I guess people get busy during the summer.

117 NW June 18, 2014 at 10:45 pm

What’s up? Where did everyone go? So, this thread is dead now.? What’s being built on Irby where the car dealership was?

NW

118 NW June 18, 2014 at 10:44 pm

NW

119 real pee dee news June 18, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Heard HiWire will go into old FunDaygo building. Seems too small though. Will see.

120 Fran June 18, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Ken…I thought I heard that also but just posted on their fb page about it and was told…
“We have not announced a HiWire in Florence”

So, maybe they decided not to do it?

121 Ken June 18, 2014 at 8:18 am

Can we confirm that a HiWire Trampoline Park is coming to Florence? If so, where will it be?

122 mo bell June 10, 2014 at 10:17 am

Thanks JA it was Bullets. I wonder where is the closest location around here?

123 mo bell June 10, 2014 at 9:10 am

no it was not a big chain like that, so no it was not Krystal.

124 JA June 9, 2014 at 3:37 pm

I believe it was Bullits

125 Lou June 7, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Was it maybe Krystal Burger?

126 mo bell June 7, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Does anyone know what was the name of the burger place that was located inside the markette gas station at 6515 E Palmetto St, Florence, SC 29506 before Dunkin Doughnuts came there?? It was maybe around 2000-2003.

127 Jim June 5, 2014 at 1:12 pm

There is a Walgreens right down the road lol!

128 Bryan June 5, 2014 at 9:59 am

That is going to be a Walgreens

129 Lou June 4, 2014 at 11:51 pm

Thanks Jon! Clears that up. :) Got another one…..what’s going at the corner opposite CVS and Applebee’s on Irby Street?

130 Tim June 4, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Gotta change the mindset of Florence residents and the perception of non-Florentines about all that Florence and surrounding has to offer. Florence is “the crossroads of South Carolina” with I95 and I20. Don’t know why we can’t exploit that more. Should be great for moving your finished product to market.

131 Bryan June 4, 2014 at 11:30 am

More jobs to the area is very good news. I envision that the counties surrounding Florence County grow and prosper as well, in my opinion Marion county sits in a very enviable position in that it sits right beside Horry County. Just imagined if Florence was about 30 miles closer to the Beach how intense the growth between Florence and Myrtle Beach would be one day we probably will get there but alot more growth between the two cities need to occur. Once this occurs then you will see the growth between the two grow exponentially. Just imagine if there was a lake and golf course near the great Pee Dee where we could develop houses and shops around this lake and market it as being close to the beach but not at the beach. There are endless possibilities for our area

132 Tim June 4, 2014 at 10:42 am

More good news for the area.

Need to have more and better jobs available in the Pee Dee region. News like this is always welcome.

133 Jon June 3, 2014 at 8:39 pm
134 Jon June 3, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Construction on Cashua may be the new site for the New Spring Church
They usually hold services at the Civic Center, but they had something in the paper a few months ago about moving to a permanent location on that side of Cashua Street.

135 Lou June 3, 2014 at 7:12 pm

According to indeed.com, Cookout is planning a second location. Anyone know where that might be? Also, there’s some construction going on at the tennis complex on the Hwy. 52 end of Cashua. Anyone know anything about that?

136 Jamie June 3, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Where is proof that Bonefish isn’t coming?

137 Fran June 3, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Tim..that is wonderful news for Florence!

Ok..anyone? I see Bone Fish Grill pulled out but any news on Panera Bread? I’ve seen commercials on tv for them since they announced but all the buildings by Academy have Available on them? Please don’t tell me they pulled out also!

138 Tim June 3, 2014 at 8:43 am

Great news on the jobs front for Florence. I’m assuming this was the mysterious Project R that was talked about a few months ago.

139 real pee dee news June 2, 2014 at 11:33 am

dave and busters is looking into the florence market.

140 Lou May 31, 2014 at 11:22 pm

Thanks Jon! Mystery solved. :)

141 Jon May 31, 2014 at 10:52 pm

You can go to Preit’s website..the owners of Magnolia Mall…and they have the site plan and it says a drive up ATM.

142 Lou May 31, 2014 at 6:41 pm

Hmmm. It doesn’t look like one but maybe they aren’t done with it yet.

143 jon May 31, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Drive up ATM between Chipotle and IHOP

144 Lou May 30, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Between IHOP and Chipotle restaurant, there is this little area that reminds me of a weigh station/rest area for trucks on the interstate. Does anyone happen to know what it is?

145 ron May 28, 2014 at 10:39 pm

ive learned today that a murphys usa will be going in the old percy n willies location.they build their sites with a kit building,so that site will probably come up very quickly

146 real pee dee news May 28, 2014 at 11:36 am

HiWire is coming to Florence…its an indoor trampoline park.

147 Lou May 26, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Ah man! No Bonefish Grill? Bummer.

148 Tim May 25, 2014 at 10:01 am

@Monica, I’ve heard multiple things on that site. The latest is a convenience store/gas station with a Bojangles inside. I’ve also heard that it might be a CVS pharmacy. On a related note, Bonefish Grill is not coming to Florence as previously announced.

149 Monica May 25, 2014 at 7:21 am

Just saw yesterday that the old Percy and Willie’s has been knocked down? Anyone know what’s going to go there? Hopefully they can fix that intersection, too.

150 Michael E. May 22, 2014 at 9:34 am

@Tim that is going to be Conn’s Home Entertainment.

151 Tim May 22, 2014 at 8:33 am

Anyone know what is going in next to Badcock Furniture in the mall across from Magnolia Mall? Brand new store-front façade and all.

152 Bryan May 20, 2014 at 10:40 pm

My understanding is that the location at Irby and Cherokee is going to be another Walgreens. I really wish they would put it Downtown. Has anyone heard anything about a highrise going up downtown, I was reading somewhere that one is being planned.

153 Jerry May 20, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Beside Holiday In on Radio Drive…Proposed..The Park at Westside. Commercial and office space avaliable

154 Ryan May 18, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Jerry, you’ve got me curious! I will be riding by to see.

155 Jerry May 17, 2014 at 10:06 pm

What’s going up behind the Holiday Inn on W Radio Drive behind the holiday Inn…there is a sign up saying coming soon if I read correctly..

156 lovette May 15, 2014 at 1:51 pm

what is going on at the old Saverance Dealership on Irby and Cherokee?

157 Lou May 10, 2014 at 7:49 pm

I think Bill Travis is who owns Wholly Smokin.

158 Charles May 10, 2014 at 12:37 am

1031 was very good and quite busy. It needs to be a bit bigger, because not everyone wants to eat outside. I never ate at Da Massissmo but it seems every restaurant/ bar that has gone there hasn’t lasted long so I worry about Wholly Smokin’. I heard Bill Travis formerly of Victors will be doing some cooking at Wholly once it moves downtown. And it is true that Stefanos is opening a second location in the old Athens location based on some distributor info.

159 real pee dee news May 9, 2014 at 11:26 am

yes in Florence. Old Athens building on Celebration to be exact. That would be awesome! Also I heard that Bonefish may not happen.

160 Fran May 9, 2014 at 11:12 am

real pee dee news…a couple years ago I was told when we were in there they were opening a 2nd place either in Conway or down by the shore somewhere. I thought it happened but not sure. You talking about around here/Florence?

161 real pee dee news May 9, 2014 at 10:55 am

Anyone hear that Stefanos is adding a second location?

162 Scot May 9, 2014 at 10:32 am

That certainly escalated quickly.

163 Lou May 8, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Oh Good! I knew they were owned by the same group that owned Outback but didn’t know that about Bonefish Grill so you’ve given me more hope Fran! :)

164 Fran May 8, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Lou…I haven’t heard anything but since Outback and now Bone Fish are going to be here and they are all sister companies of Carraba’s, who knows. We might just get one and I agree, I’d love to see one here.

165 Lou May 7, 2014 at 10:31 pm

So….on to the next subject. :) Has anyone heard anything about maybe a Carraba’s coming to Florence? Not saying I have but sure would like to see one. And I agree with you Fran about a nice Irish Pub. Something different like that would be great.

166 Ryan May 7, 2014 at 5:13 pm

I agree with Lou and Fran. I thought nothing of Tim’s comment until there was so much outrage.

167 Melanie May 7, 2014 at 11:37 am

Thank you, Bob. Max and Jennifer are good friends of mine but that is beside the point. I don’t care who they are. All I know is if someone was saying they heard from a “reliable” source that I didn’t pay my bills, I would pitch a fit. The fact that Max and Jennifer haven’t done that says a lot to me about their character. How “reliable” is a source who tells someone an untruth? Why would anyone even post something like that on the internet anyway? People can be very malicious. It has been my experience that if you want to say something nasty about someone but don’t want to do it yourself, you tell someone that you know will…which doesn’t say much about those people. If the shoe fits, wear it. Tim, instead if justifying what you said, why don’t you just apologize to Max and Jennifer and those of us who are very upset by this? Seems like the right thing to do to me.

168 Fran May 7, 2014 at 11:35 am

Lou..I totally agree. Let’s just please move past this and everyone can think whatever they want. I for one love Da Massimo’s and am really sorry to see them leave Florence, for whatever reason. I am lucky that I work in Hartsville and have friends that also love them that will meet me after work for dinner here. I hope Florence can get another local, small business, nicer than fast food, chains and different than bbq or burgers. Right now Victor’s has the lock on that and I won’t go into my experience there ;) A nice Irish Pub would go good too!

169 Bob May 7, 2014 at 1:21 am

Lou, really I’m over reacting if you read it and it was one of your friends you might feel differently. No what I said is the truth straight from the horses mouth not from a so called reputable source. In fact Ive witnessed it myself. So lets just leave it at that no one has any right to slander or post any information about someone paying their bills or not. It ridiculous….if this was a monitored post it would or should have been deleted already. This blog is for sharing information about local businesses not hurting someone’s business.

170 Lou May 6, 2014 at 10:37 pm

@ Bob and Melanie…I’m sorry but isn’t this over-reacting just a tad? In fact, I didn’t even think twice about what Tim said until such a big deal was made of it and I’m sure there are others who feel the same way. And….aren’t you doing exactly the same thing, Bob, you accuse Tim of doing by your accusations against the landlord? I think it’s time to move past this and let it go.

171 Bob Smith May 6, 2014 at 4:54 pm

I am not sure you are understanding what we are posting. IT DOES NOT MATTER WHERE YOU HEARD IT FROM OR WHO TOLD YOU IT DOES NOT BELONG ON A PUBLIC FORUM!! Reputable or not you are messing with a small business with employees that need their jobs. How would you like it if someone was spreading untrue rumors about you around the internet. Please refrain from mentioning anything more from your so called reputable source.

172 Tim May 6, 2014 at 3:25 pm

@Bob, I’m not saying it’s true. I was reporting what I had heard from a reputable source. Because I could not confirm the information I said it was second hand and take it for what it’s worth. I have eaten at DaMassimo’s on many occasions and have enjoyed it.

173 Bob Smith May 6, 2014 at 1:09 pm

@ Tim

Definition of slander (n)

Bing Dictionary
slan·der
[ slánd?r ]

1.saying of something false and damaging: the act or offense of saying something false or malicious that damages somebody’s reputation
2.false and damaging statement: a false and malicious statement that damages somebody’s reputation
3.utter slander against somebody: to make a false and malicious oral statement about somebody

174 Melanie May 6, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Tim, did you know that people get sued for slander for publishing things like that? Their landlord did not renew their lease because they would not do things like he wanted them to. He is not a restaurant owner. Max had a successful business on Celebration and has had a successful business downtown. His food is wonderful! There are many people who went there every week. He must be doing something right. I am sick over them moving to Hartsville but I do think the downtown there will appreciate them more than downtown did here. It is a real shame. Florence is losing a great Italian restaurant while all these chains are popping up everywhere. Too sad. And Flossip, shame on you for not taking down that slanderous post

175 Bob Smith May 6, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Da Massimo has moved to Hartsville because they support their downtown businesses no matter who they are. They also are way beyond Florence in their ongoing development to the downtown. The FDDC has along way to go in their efforts and should have started with changing the atmosphere downtown instead of having parties.

176 Bob Smith May 6, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Yes it is true that the landlord did not renew the Da Massimo lease but did you also know that the landlord used their restaurant as his personal bar and fed his friends when they were closed. If you are going to post something make sure its the truth. Da Massimo also had a problem with their landlord sticking his nose in their business and telling them what to do. May I remind you the two businesses that were in there before did not do well at all under his “business acumen” in the first place. So why should he be telling Da Massimo what to do…

177 Bob Smith May 6, 2014 at 12:09 pm

@ Tim Perhaps you should not be posting on a public forum about someones character that says alot about you… How Dare you Sir!!

178 Bob Smith May 6, 2014 at 11:59 am

Test

179 Tim May 5, 2014 at 6:50 pm

DaMassimo moving because the landlord didn’t renew the lease. From what I heard the owner of DaMassimo wasn’t great at paying his bills. But, that is second hand information so take it for what it’s worth.

180 Fran May 5, 2014 at 11:48 am

@David We had dinner there last Friday and I asked Max, the owner, that and he said he guess’ Florence likes BBQ more. I’m sad to see them go but guess they didn’t have the business needed. Plus I’m guessing they are moving to Hartsville downtown cause its up and coming. I’d love to see Florence do that.

181 David May 2, 2014 at 9:03 am

anyone know why Da Massimo’s is closing/moving to Hartsville?

182 Fran May 1, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Haven’t been by there in awhile but just heard that Percy and Willie’s is open in their new spot.

Also, nothing against Wholly Smokin’ but Da Massimo’s is a lot bigger then their other place. Just wondering what they will do with it all. Personally wish a Bar and Grill would have taken over. We really need something like that to go to after a show at the FMPAC or Little Theater!