Rumors, Openings, and Closings in Florence, SC

by The Flossip on March 5, 2011

in Making Florence better,Openings/Closings/Rumors,Pee Dee Pride!,Places to Eat,Restaurants,Rumors

I am going to update this post as places open, places close and rumors bounce around and I will update when they become reality (if they become reality). By reality I don’t mean that your mama’s cousin works for the XYZ Company and they know for a FACT that it is a Buffalo Wild Wings. I mean, there is actually a sign on the door, wait staff is hired and I can go in and order a meal. Or buy something. Please comment about any rumors of new businesses you have heard or openings or closings. Don’t just comment about any rumors you have heard– this isn’t that type of website!

RUMORS AND PLANNED OPENINGS

• Chipotle at Magnolia Mall (outside)
    • LOOKS OPEN 6/23!

• Academy Sports
    • Cheddars Casual Cafe  (Note they do not list Florence in their new location list, but they are on the retail site map)
    • Southern Latitudes in the Old Prime Time Location
    • California Dreamin
    • Fuddruckers (I would actually love this, so easy with kids too.)
    • Pita Pit
MOVING
      • Bean Groovy is moving to the old Carolina Sandwich location on the corner of Coit and Palmetto
      • I HAVE HEARD THIS MAY NOT HAPPEN.

OPENINGS (These are openings since I started the page- most recent are listed at the top)

• Hotel Florence  (So exciting!)
        • “New” Victors (Fabulous!)
        • Dolce Vita in Downtown Florence (Chocolate-Wine-Tasting Room)(They will also sell SweetLeigh’s cakes!)
        • Long Grain Cafe (I approve!  Had a great lunch there)
        • Dollar General on Second Loop across from Rogers (Blah.  Sorry this isn’t more exciting)
        • DA Massimo is downtown
        • Virginia college in the Old Circuit City
        • The Grotto reopened with a twist! It is now a wine and cheese shop.
        • Sweet Frog Yogurt Now with 2 locations in Florence
        • Lizards Thicket
        • Let them eat cake!– a cake store
        • Clay Pot Coffee Shop(Love!)
        • Struttin Turkey (Irby Street on the right out towards South Florence)

CLOSINGS

• Cottontails is closing 1/26.
      • Old Europe (reopened on 2d Loop at old Cafe Florentine location)
      • Is Chutney Closed?  Rumor says its just being renovated.
      • George’s Funnel Cakes
      • Pattycakes– old location and the new location are closed
      • Dance Etc(2012)
      • Robertos (closed for good according to their FB status 3/21/12.) (THIS IS NOW DA MASSIMO)
      • Indian Buffet– New one opened on Palmetto Street near Irby.
      • FatBoys
      • Handpicked
      • Fazolis
      • Smackin Daddies.
      • Dr. Fishbones is closed
      • Artie Macs has closed
      • Books  A Million (Wahhhhhh)
      • Prime Time
      • Artie Macs
      • Travis Jewelers (Sniff)(2012)
      • Shuckers (Now renamed to Cactus Jack Saloon)(2012)
      • Hapi Balance
      • Stuart Lawrence Salon

(I need your help to keep this post going! Comment away! I will put a permanent link in the sidebar.)

{ 1240 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Fran November 21, 2014 at 9:20 am

Well, Publix opened in N. Myrtle Beach and Pawley’s to open later this year. They just announced today that they were building one in Carolina Forest. So I can only hope they are moving this way :)

2 Jim November 20, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Rumor is a Cookout is going by Dunkin on 52

3 Bryan November 20, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Land is being cleared beside the new Dunkin Donuts on Hwy 52 Does anyone know what is going there? That land would be a great location for a grocery store and shops.

4 JD November 19, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Seitz has no idea.

5 Tim November 19, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Anyone know why they’re clearing land on Woody Jones adjacent to the Civic Center and the Veterans Park?

6 Tim November 14, 2014 at 9:10 am

More news from downtown Florence.

Excited to see how this shapes up.

7 Patrick November 8, 2014 at 4:03 am

Does anyone know what is going on at the old Winn Dixie on Evans ? Noticed there was work going on there the a couple of days ago ?

8 JD November 5, 2014 at 12:23 pm

Thank goodness. The Flowtown Flow has it listed as an Express.

9 Michael E November 4, 2014 at 12:58 pm

@JD Its gonna be a neighborhood market

10 JD November 4, 2014 at 9:46 am

Is the Walmart going to be a Neighborhood Market, or is it going to be one of those terrible Express Dollar General wannabees?

11 Michael October 30, 2014 at 8:19 am

Florence Festival of Lights
(beside Hoffmeyer Road Baptist Church)

Join us for the inaugural Florence Festival of Lights to be held on Friday and Saturday evenings for the first three weekends in December. This premiere light display and holiday event will be fun for the whole family. You will be mesmerized by the beauty of the holiday lights as you drive through Hoffmeyer Place. You can park and enjoy a roasted marshmallow and more at Santa’s Village.

The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation is the world leader in a search for a cure for CF. We fund more research than any other organization and approximately 90 cents of every dollar raised goes to support the CFF mission.

Visit http://sc.cff.org/florencefestival or contact the South Carolina Chapter at 843-388-5968 for more information including details on sponsorship.

12 Fran October 29, 2014 at 11:52 am

A Publix would be the best news I can think of..lol. I keep checking their page for new openings and see nothing as of yet for Florence. Lou posted something about hearing that too! I’ll be saying a prayer

13 Bryan October 29, 2014 at 11:25 am

There is a website called flotownflow that says that a Publix is coming does anyone know if this is true. The website looks pertty update.

14 Lou October 28, 2014 at 4:28 pm

@Fran……Yay! Thanks Fran! Been waiting to hear that news. Can’t wait!

15 Fran October 28, 2014 at 4:07 pm

McAllister’s announced they will be opening on Monday, November 3.

16 real pee dee news October 27, 2014 at 5:24 pm

bonefish is coming to florence, but will be locating to a different site.

17 Jon October 26, 2014 at 12:55 am

party City, Which Wich, Salsaritas, Bedroom Store, Swee, to come at Academy….http://www.scnow.com/news/business/article_1a768f04-5c7b-11e4-aa78-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

18 Lou October 25, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Newest thing I’ve heard on Publix…..will go at the shopping center where Roses is. Anyone know if there’s any truth to this?

19 Lou October 24, 2014 at 9:24 pm

@Mia…..I have eaten there once and won’t go back. Very disappointing.

20 Scott October 24, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Does anyone know what they are doing beside/behind the airport? Seen them cutting down a lot of trees.” Lately.

21 mia October 24, 2014 at 6:03 am

Has anyone tried the southern restaurant off of cashua, beside anytime fitness? How is it?

22 Fran October 23, 2014 at 10:21 am

Thanks Ken..I was hoping when they originally said towards the end of August that it would be sooner than December. Was looking forward to watching some Gamecocks Football there.

23 Ken October 22, 2014 at 2:22 pm

I talked to an employee of Smoky Oaks Taproom yesterday, while at Taste of Florence. I was told that they will be open in December.

24 Bryan October 19, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Has anyone heard about the proposed development off of Hoffmeyer Rd. Called Harlee Village from what I saw it was a planned community with retail. Though the date aaid 2012, I wonder if it is still in the works.

25 Tim October 17, 2014 at 11:37 am

Michael, from what I’ve read it says early November. Nothing more specific than that.

26 Michael E October 17, 2014 at 9:57 am

Do anyone have the date on when Mcallister Deli suppose to open, I see that they is almost done with it.

27 Ken October 15, 2014 at 4:56 pm

They should make I-95 @ Hoffmeyer Road an Inerchange. It would probably be named exit 161 or 162. That would be another great entry into the city.

28 Bryan October 15, 2014 at 3:26 pm

I think the construction on the parking decks are about to begin. They have the area blocked off and there are people digging holes. I wonder if there are any depictions of them and how many levels. It would be nice if they could have shops on the first floor facing the street and parking behind and above.

29 real pee dee news October 15, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Rumor that Costco is looking at the piece of property on the corner of hoffmeyer and ebenezer..across from new gas station being built.

30 Lou October 14, 2014 at 8:49 pm

@Sean Dallas…….you just made my night! I love Pier One and was surprised it closed at the mall. Hopefully you’re right and it will come back.

31 Sean Dallas October 14, 2014 at 1:24 pm

I heard from a broker buddy of mine that he’s look for land in Florence for a Pier One.

32 Sara October 14, 2014 at 12:42 pm

@CRP A Subway

33 CRP October 14, 2014 at 11:24 am

Does anyone know what is going between Zaxbys and Waffle House at the industrial park at exit 170 off 95?

34 Bryan October 14, 2014 at 9:54 am

This is great news for Dillon and for the Pee Dee, anytime there is an economic announcement anywhere in our region that is good. On another note there might be an announcement for jobs in the city of Florence per the Morning News the City Council went into executive session to discuss a potential healthcare company putting their corporate headquarters in Florence.

35 Tim October 14, 2014 at 9:19 am

And so we have the big news for Dillon County…

36 Tim October 14, 2014 at 8:44 am

Anyone have information on what will be built next to the Holiday Inn Express on Radio Drive? The land is sold and it looks like it might be mixed use (office/retail/hotel).

37 Tim October 14, 2014 at 8:43 am

Big news for our neighboring county (Dillon). This could really be something that helps move the needle in a very positive direction.

38 Tim October 14, 2014 at 8:42 am

More concrete news on the soccer park and other economic development happenings for Florence.

If the park truly happens it will transform that exit (157) with lots of more restaurants and hotels. Hopefully improving the area from what it is now.

39 Lou October 9, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Thanks Jon! And I completely forgot there used to be a Staples; barely remember it. But I guess you’re right. If we had it and it didn’t fly then, they probably won’t try again. Can’t blame them. I can’t believe they didn’t make it. But I still can’t believe Pier One Imports didn’t make it either.

40 JD October 9, 2014 at 11:49 am

The restaurant is where Bonefish was supposed to go, but they backed out. Still hitting on Copper River/JPeters to come in there.

Last I heard from Panera, they are still on the way, it’s just a funding/timing issue.

Sweet has one of the shops there, but I think they are focusing on the hospital first.

Shop B (the small one beside Party City) is unlikely for Party City is going to need more room than anticipated.

Nothing is slated for the shops right at the road there by David McCloud yet either (where Chic-Fil-A was originally supposed to go).

41 Harry October 8, 2014 at 9:52 pm

When looking at thttp://www.atlanticretail.com/images/content/Florence%20SC%20-%20FLYER%20-%202300%20David%20H%20Mcleod.pdf, when will Panera start? And what will be going in the vacant shops and restaurant?

42 Jon October 8, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Bojangles is going behind Murphy’s…and Staples used to be where Planet Fitness is..doubt they would come back

43 Lou October 8, 2014 at 7:22 pm

There appears to be something going beside the new Murphy Express where Percy and Willie’s was. Anyone know anything about that? And I sure wish we’d get a Staples here in Florence.

44 real pee dee news October 8, 2014 at 2:16 pm

*big corporate sponsor…

45 real pee dee news October 8, 2014 at 2:12 pm

go to flosoccer.org for the latest in the soccer complex. they hope to have some initial practice fields by summer. lots of red tape right now. i would imagine the redwolves will move forward when a bug corporate sponsor steps up and helps build the stadium.

46 JD October 8, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Jim,

Party City is indeed on the way. The contractor made us move the storage bins we had behind it because they are actually making it a bit bigger than planned. They are looking at opening in January/February.

47 Jonathan G. October 8, 2014 at 12:45 pm

Is there a link to see the plan for 95/76? I haven’t heard of the stadium and a soccer complex

48 Ryan October 8, 2014 at 12:06 pm

A few weeks back, someone on Facebook asked Costco about the rumor of a store in Florence. The response was that there was no official announcement, and to “keep an eye out.” Could Costco possibly be interested in the I95/76 area?

49 real pee dee news October 8, 2014 at 9:53 am

FSA Soccer complex and Redwolves plus football stadium is part of the master plan at 95/76. Redwolves only lease the FMU stadium year to year. Bruce and Lee purchased the Young property(350+acres) and you will see major changes soon. Twin Church rd. will be straightened and extended through the light to the left of the Young house. I would love to see Redwolves downtown….but don’t see anywhere that could go…Flo downtown is not that big. It may take awhile, but its going to happen out there. and when it’s done…it will be awesome!

50 Bryan October 7, 2014 at 9:58 pm

We need a minor league team, the last one we had if my memory serves me correct. Did pretty well but there was other factors that lead to it’s demise.

51 Jonathan G. October 7, 2014 at 8:47 pm

The red wolves stadium needs to be built downtown!

52 Bryan October 7, 2014 at 7:41 pm

I do know that apartments are suppose to be build off Irby st behind Harrington Vision across from the FMU health sciences building.

53 Bryan October 7, 2014 at 7:39 pm

I doubt a high school stadium will be built out on 76, Redwolves are playing at Sparrow stadium on the campus of FMU you must be talking about decades down the road and know something we don’t. I would love for it to happen but I just don’t see those two happening.

54 Jim October 7, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Looks like Party City is breaking ground right beside Academy….fence is up

55 real pee dee news October 7, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Exit 157 will look a lot different in years to come. FSA will build an awesome soccer complex, there will be a new Redwolves stadium ,as well as a football stadium for the high schools. That being said, there will be an influx of small hotels, restaurants and retail on this corridor of Florence. Tanger outlets is a strong possibility in this area. This growth will be from Twin Church Rd to I95 and north and south on I95. This will also be another entrance to the city of florence for traffic. exciting!

56 josh October 4, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Platos Closet is opening a store by Target. The sign is already up!

57 Fran October 2, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Ahh..now that you mention it Tim, I think so. Just looks so different I didn’t realize it all empty and cleared..lol. Thanks!

58 Tim October 2, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Fran, isn’t that the old Trust Building site where they’re building the medical/health services building?

59 Fran October 2, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Ok, may have missed it said already but anyone know what’s going in at the corner of Irby and Evans that they totally cleared? I really hope its not another bank or gas station.

60 M Heath September 28, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Greenville’s downtown is unbelievably popular ….people move here from NY and Florida just for the downtown. I don’t believe people not in immediate Greenville area going to travel to go to Dave and Buster’s vs going downtown. Anderson and Spartanburg and rest of the Upstate demographics are not much different from Florence..

Greenville has more entertainment options in general than Florence so I would think a less saturated market like Florence a Dave and Busters or any kind of entertainment thing could do ok, and they could lower prices some. I think the main issue for Florence is Myrtle Beach is 1 hour away and that city is dedicated to entertainment.

61 Bryan September 27, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Have not heard about an outlet but that would be good if there was one built in that area or somewhere along I-95 in Florence County

62 Darlene September 26, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Has anyone heard about an outlet mall at exit #157?

63 Ken September 25, 2014 at 11:05 am

What ever happened to the May Fly Air Show?

64 Ashley September 23, 2014 at 6:49 pm

I’ve driven to Concord for D&B. People will make a drive for certain things. I went for a birthday trip.

65 JD September 23, 2014 at 10:43 am

D&B’s has lowered the requirements somewhat significantly in the last year. Greenville/SP now fits the requirements.

Straight from D&B’s website:

Market Requirements
Super-regional Draw:
•700,000 to 1,000,000 daytime population (within 10 miles)
•Average guest travels 22 minutes to visit our stores.

66 Ryan September 22, 2014 at 9:37 pm

With American Airlines taking over shortly, we may have a direct flight to Dallas. Chances of that are somewhat slim, but it could happen, and the benefits we could see would be amazing, like you mentioned.

67 Sean Dallas September 22, 2014 at 4:57 pm

@eddie: I totally agree.

Florence Regional is not doing a good job in adding new flights, but that may be difficult given its proximity to Myrtle Beach, Columbia, Charleston and Wilmington — all cities that have some connections to New York, Boston, Chicago and other Northeast cities.

What I’ve never understood is why Florence Regional doesn’t have more connections to Atlanta, Dallas-Fort Worth, Memphis or Jacksonville. Those places seem more practical than New York and Chicago, and could provide some serious business avenues for the city and region.

68 eddie September 22, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Where I have always felt where Florence has fallen short is several things.but the one that stands out is the lack of an airport like Greenville built that has direct flights to places like Chicago and New York and lead to corp headquarters being opened in the area.

69 Sean Dallas September 21, 2014 at 11:52 pm

@ Matt H: Eddie’s comments nailed it.

Florence’s 205,000-people metro will NEVER stack up to Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson’s 1.4 million residents. Lets also add to the fact that the Interstate 85 corridor has very quick and easy access to Atlanta and Charlotte — two VERY large metros that have residents with expendable income and secondary homes in the Greenville metro. Not to mention, the city continues to chart incredible high-tech job growth that pays larger salaries than what you would find in Florence.

Another factor that weighs heavily in these decisions is personal income.

Greenville residents have a lot of it, where as Florence, while growing, simply does not meet such a threshold, period. While just offering arcade games and food, it’s still an upscale venue — meaning the company needs to be an area where there are a lot of people in the surrounding communities with expendable income. To achieve that, they look beyond Greenville and Greenville County, they include municipalities in Spartanburg and Anderson counties. If you’ve driven I-85, think of the all the growth along that corridor. These cities have practically blended together, thus making them attractive for a venue like this.

Now, think about metro Florence and her surrounding counties.

Even if we lumped Myrtle Beach into the mix, (and some brokers, I understand, have tried), we still wouldn’t have an ice cube’s chance in Hades because we are incredibly rural, more than 35 percent of our region’s population is living below the poverty line, and the Dave and Buster’s brand is not widely known in this area.

Now, with that said, stranger things have happened.

If Florence were to offer incentives to Dave and Busters, they could come, but I seriously doubt that would happen because it would be difficult for them to make the numbers work (businesses still have to post a profit).

All-in-all, I stand behind my previous comments: This region will continue to stay off the radar of such an establishment until our region addresses quality job growth, makes more significant strides in redeveloping her assets (i.e. downtown Florence, historic neighborhoods, urban mixed-use zoning), and looks bigger on paper by aggressively annexing some of these county neighborhoods in zip codes with big money.

70 Matt H September 21, 2014 at 3:58 pm

I doubt people living over 1 hour away in Oconee county, and over in Union, etc are going to be coming to Greenville for this Dave and Busters. They are more likely to go downtown or the mall if they make that drive. It is around 400,000 people in Greenville metro.

71 eddie September 21, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Greenville is the largest city in the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson Combined Statistical Area. According to GSA Business Market Facts, the CSA had a population of 1,438,550 as of 2013, putting it in the position of largest in the state.

72 Matt H September 21, 2014 at 11:09 am

@JD and Sean Dallas,

A Dave and Busters is being built in Greenville right now on Woodruff road behind the movie theatre…it has been known they were coming here since 2008. I don’t think Greenville metro close to 1.5 million.

I don’t see why one could not do well in Florence….it is just a restaurant with arcade and other games.

73 Lou September 15, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Anyone know anything about the lot being cleared on Cashua right at Hwy. 52? It’s right beside Florence Concrete Products.

74 Bryan September 11, 2014 at 11:56 am

Ok, I hope this is true, along with the HHGregg rumor.

75 Ken September 10, 2014 at 9:54 pm

The source is from a rival company, Bryan.

76 Bryan September 10, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Costco, on Ebenezer Rd…unless it’s on that huge piece of land right beside I-95 off Hoffmeyer I can’t picture one on that Rd. Where did you here this from Ken?

77 Ken September 9, 2014 at 7:36 am

I have been told that Costco is looking to build a store somewhere on Ebenezer Road.

78 Jon September 8, 2014 at 8:54 pm

Correction: A Fox and Hound Restaurant..and the Vitamin Shop has been renamed?

79 Jon September 8, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Also looking at the site plan, and aerial photos of magnolia mall, they list a Fox’s Den restaurant where Mellow Mushroom is.

80 Charles September 8, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Chick Fil A isn’t moving. Burger King will be tore down and Cfa will be rebuilt as a sit down on both sites.

81 real pee dee news September 8, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Chick-Fil-A is leaving from in front of the mall and will be building on academy site…eat in site.

82 Jason September 7, 2014 at 7:27 pm

A Fast Track Conv Store at Hoffmeyer/Ebenezer

83 Ashley September 7, 2014 at 8:10 am

Does anyone know what’s being built on the corner of Ebenezer and Hoffmeyer Rd.?

84 Jim September 6, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Chick fil A leaving from outside the mall?. http://www.preit.com/leasing/detail/plans/29

85 Jim September 5, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Panera Bread is now on the site plan to be placed at the corner of Woody Jones and David McLeod in front of Academy.

86 Ken September 3, 2014 at 6:31 pm

The Swamp Bar & Grill has the best hot wings around.

87 Fran September 3, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Rode by where Bean Groovy was supposed to go and didn’t at Coit and Palmetto. There is a sign that its going to be Adele’s or someone’s Hair Salon.

88 Lou August 28, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Sweet Marie’s is closing. Their last day is August 30th.

89 real pee dee news August 22, 2014 at 10:04 am

i have been in contact with The Fresh Market and they have interest in the Florence market!!!They have 2 down on the grand strand now and would love to come to the Pee Dee. Its great news…but could take awhile.

90 Austin August 20, 2014 at 4:23 pm

I agree with the Eastside comment! Walmart should buy the old “El Toril” restaurant next to family dollar and put the Walmart Grocery there. That location is almost 5 acres like the site behind walgreens.

91 Bryan August 20, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Quick Trip should purchase the abandon Sav-Way gas station across from Carolinas Hospital that would be a good location

92 Michael E August 20, 2014 at 12:47 pm

I also heard today that. Quick Trip gas station was coming on the corner of ebenezer/pine needles next to Jiffy Lube.

93 Bryan August 20, 2014 at 10:51 am

I can’t stress this enough, the Far East side of town needs a grocery store, with FMU, the Country Club of SC that area could use a grocery store and some other retail options.

94 Michael E August 20, 2014 at 10:12 am

I see that they started on the Mcallister Deli project.

95 Fran August 20, 2014 at 8:58 am

Great…NOT! Just what we don’t need is more Wal-marts! Come on Florence, how about some creativity and get some new types of places here instead of just wal-marts, dollar stores and gas stations??

96 Lou August 19, 2014 at 7:48 pm

According to Stephano’s, they will be opening hopefully by the first of the year at the Old Athens place. It will be more of a sandwich place like Pee Dee News says and more of a pick it up and go kind of thing. No wait staff. They will cater too if I remember correctly. Tentatively named Cibo’s (pronounced Cheebo’s).

97 Ashley August 19, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Thank you Michael for sharing the article. I was coming on the page to do just that. Needed to clear up what’s going on. There is rumor that Florence will get 2 more of these stand alone Wal-Mart Markets.

98 Michael August 19, 2014 at 3:35 pm

OK, so it’s official… Walmart Neighborhood Grocery is going behind/beside Walgreens, not on Ruby’s corner.

99 real pee dee news August 19, 2014 at 11:16 am

stefano’s purchased the old athens building….so i would say they are going to open at celebration. i heard mostly lunch type menu and pastries/desserts. they would do much more business there than downtown.

100 Lou August 16, 2014 at 10:54 pm

I was in Mi Tierra tonight and was told by 2 separate employees that they have no plans to move anywhere. Guess they could be trying to keep it under wraps but don’t know why it would be such a secret.

101 Tim August 15, 2014 at 8:54 am

I don’t think Stefano’s is opening on Celebration. From what I’ve heard they are going to open a downtown location but haven’t heard about anything out on the West side. Good news about Bonefish if true. Having options is never a bad thing.

102 Josh August 14, 2014 at 9:10 pm

I was informed a Dunkin Donuts will be built out on 52. Not sure if that’s the location you’re referring to though Bryan.

103 Bryan August 14, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Construction has started on the land beside the Comfort Suites on Hwy 52. Does anyone know what is going there.

104 Lou August 14, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Good to hear about Bonefish. Something else I’d like to see us get is a Yamato’s but thinking that’s not very likely. Would also still like to see a Carraba’s. And Southern Latitude’s…..I guess that one has officially bitten the dust; has anyone heard? Lastly, does anyone know if it is still on for Stephano’s to open on Celebration as well?

105 real pee dee news August 14, 2014 at 9:44 am

Mi tierra will be building a free standing restaurant on Celebration soon.

106 real pee dee news August 12, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Publix is not coming…just rumors…bonefish is back in the market.

107 Tim August 12, 2014 at 9:17 am

Bryan, how do you know there isn’t someone like that on this board? ;)

108 Bryan August 11, 2014 at 11:48 am

I wish one of us on this board had some inside person, friend or family that work in Florence County Planning then we would know for sure what those projects are.

109 William August 11, 2014 at 10:21 am

I went to Publix FB page and submitted the question of a location here in Florence. They answered by saying that there were no plans for Florence right now.

110 Ryan August 10, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Per Walgreens employee: Walmart Express behind/beside Walgreens, and Publix at Ruby’s Corner.

111 JD August 7, 2014 at 10:38 pm

At the corner of 2nd loop and cashua across from Walgreens and CVS (where the old houses are), there is a red sign now that says Stop Work.

What is going on? Endangered species? Squatters in the old house? What’s up?

112 Austin August 7, 2014 at 9:16 pm

I hope they put a turn lane on second loop to help alleviate traffic jams for those seeking to turn onto s. cashua. I brought this up with Wukela a couple years ago. Now is the time to do it before ruby’s corner gets redeveloped. The traffic backs all the way up to Hoffman and Hoffman!!!

113 Lou August 7, 2014 at 8:14 pm

For what this is worth, have just been told by someone who should know that Wal-Mart Express is going at Miss Ruby’s site and across the street, behind Walgreen’s, will be a gas station that is a part of the Wal-Mart Express.

114 Tripp August 7, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Does anyone know if Creek Ratz is moving? Their building is listed on Palmetto Commercial Realty as being for sale/lease.

115 Ken August 6, 2014 at 4:50 pm

They need to look into widening alligator Road. There is a lot of growth going on out there.

116 Bryan August 5, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Drove by the area off 2nd loop and Cashua and the land that they have cleared is huge so, it does look like it could be a big box store on another note the new Hope Helath facility looks to start building soon on North Irby at the end of Sumter st.

117 Michael E July 30, 2014 at 1:44 pm

I see the Palmetto Commercial Real Estate sign next to.Holiday Inn Express on Radio Dr. has SOLD on it, Anyone heard whats going there?

118 Tim July 30, 2014 at 10:52 am

I see land is being cleared and prepped at the corner of Ebeneezer and Pine Needles, just adjacent to the Jiffy Lube there. Has anyone heard what might be going there?

119 Maria Gonzales July 29, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Anyone else experience any racism at Party Maxx in Florence. I cannot believe the way I was talked to today.

120 Tim July 29, 2014 at 3:40 pm

The Wal-Mart info comes from another poster on this site. The Publix info was given to me by a client. I’m not saying this is 100% true. All I’m saying is this is the information that I’ve heard. It is hard to believe that we could potentially have 2 grocery stores and 3 pharmacies within 100 yards of each other. SMH

121 real pee dee news July 29, 2014 at 2:49 pm

what a traffic nightmare to an already congested intersection. so many other and better locations for Publix to go…they must have gotten a deal on the land since its been for sale for over 10 years! wait til cashua widens!!!

122 Fran July 29, 2014 at 2:41 pm

@Tim…thank you! I’ll have to drive down Cashua and see that space. I thought there is a strip/stores next to Walgreens. Didn’t realize there was room behind for a large grocery store.

@Judy..who knows, every time I drive by it doesn’t look like they have done a thing in the Old Blockbusters. Looks the same since they moved out.

123 Bryan July 29, 2014 at 1:20 pm

If all this is true what “may” go at that intersection that would be alot. Tim…who is saying all of this, is it contractors, city officials?

124 Tim July 29, 2014 at 11:25 am

Fran, from what I’ve gleaned, the new Walmart Neighborhood Market will be on Ms. Ruby’s site, across Cashua from CVS. The rumored Publix will be behind Walgreen’s.

125 Judy July 29, 2014 at 10:10 am

Anyone know when McAlister’s will open?

126 Fran July 29, 2014 at 9:46 am

Ok, I’m confused now. Are you all talking about the same spot or two different from Ms Ruby’s? I can’t picture a place behind or next to Walgreens on 2nd and Cashua. I thought Walmart grocery/pharmacy was suppose to go on Ms Ruby’s corner. I would love a Publix anywhere!

127 Tim July 28, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Cindy, I have not heard anything definite but I have heard a rumor that that is where Publix is going to go. Sort of an “L” shaped lot behind Walgreen’s with entrance on Cashua and Second Loop. But, that’s all hearsay at the moment.

128 Cindy July 28, 2014 at 11:31 am

What is going to be built on the land behind Walgreen’s and second loop rd ? The people in those surrounding homes want to know what will be in their back yards!!!!!

129 Pat July 24, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Harvest Moon Soapworks is closing in Downtown, end of July, first part of August

130 Bryan July 24, 2014 at 4:26 pm

What is really needed is a grocery store on the west side of 95 preferably near the Hoffmeyer Rd area. With the scholl that have been recently built and the multiple family housing that suppose to be built out that way that would be a great location.

131 Tim July 24, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Michael and others, thanks for the information. Do we really need another Wal Mart of any sort in town? Yes, it’s rhetorical question.

Any other news that you’ve heard? I don’t have anything new on the downtown efforts.

132 Michael July 24, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Tim, I have sources too telling me it’s going to be Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market (& Pharmacy). It’s about 1/5 the size of a “normal” Wal-Mart.

133 Fran July 24, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Same here Tim..wondering about that. Smoky Oak Taproom will be open in time for College Football ;)
Not sure what there will be like since I’ve never been to the one in James Island.

134 Tim July 24, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Has anyone visited the Swamp bar on Palmetto? I’m wondering what it’s like. I’m looking for additional places to watch a game and grab a beer.

135 Fran July 24, 2014 at 10:16 am

I would much rather have a Publix there. Walmart has enough places in town, imho!
True, that intersection will be a mess no matter what “big” store goes in there.

136 Tim July 24, 2014 at 8:40 am

Either way, it’s going to increase traffic at that intersection. Definitely will be interesting.

137 Jon July 23, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Heard in Walmart yesterday about the Walmart Market going there..haven’t heard of a Public tgough

138 Tim July 23, 2014 at 3:21 pm

@Jon, are we certain of that? I had also heard about a Publix in the same location.

139 Jon July 23, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Walmart Market and Pharmacy…see two posts down..going where Ruby’s was

140 Tim July 23, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Land near Ms. Ruby’s place, corner of Cashua and Second Loop, being cleared as we speak. Lots of activities there. Anyone know what, if anything, is going on there?

141 real pee dee news July 22, 2014 at 10:58 am

we sure could use another fine dining establishment…especially for a town the size of florence…victors is nice but gets pretty loud at times. any thoughts?

142 Michael E. July 20, 2014 at 5:23 pm

I heard today that Walmart Market Grocery & Pharmacy is going to built on the corner of Second Loop & S.Cashua in front of the CVS!!

143 Tommy Crayton July 20, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Excellent!!!!!! Even more chains coming!!!!

144 Jon July 19, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Bojangles is hiring a manager for a new location on Indeed. Looks like the Bojangles is joining the Murphys Express where Percy and Willie’s sat.

145 Bryan July 19, 2014 at 11:44 am

Hwy 327 is really about to expand with restaurants and hotels since the exit has been reconfigured, I even imagine in the future you will see maybe a Grocery Store or other shops, homes and retails. Since that is the main thoroughfare for people to get to the beach and the businesses that are out there at Touchstone Commerce City.

146 Jon July 18, 2014 at 6:29 pm

A Subway is being built by the Waffle House on 327

147 Michael E. July 18, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Do anyone know what is being built between Zaxbys and The Waffle House on hwy 327?

148 Lou July 16, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Anyone know anything about the place located in the same shopping center as Pretty ‘n Bliss called Southern Cooking? That might not be the name; it could be a description of the place and the sign for the name hasn’t been installed yet.

149 Bryan Wilson July 16, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Underarmour is looking for a distribution center in the Southeast, Florence would make a great location. I sent an email to NESA and told them they may want to contact them and let them know about the Florence area.

150 Tim July 16, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Anyone know when the brewpub is scheduled to open downtown?

151 Jon July 16, 2014 at 12:53 pm

A 2nd Stafanos location is moving where Athens was

152 Tripp July 16, 2014 at 11:42 am

I’m surprised at Rue 21 looking to move INSIDE the mall. I guess whatever works for them. I stopped shopping their brands a long time ago. The clothes don’t hold up in the washer. Plato’s Closet is definitely a good fit and will save people from having to go to the beach to shop. Really don’t care for the gas station going up on the old Percy’s site. It’s a prime location that could easily go to something better.

A coworker was at the main Sweet location earlier this week and heard they are planning to try to move to their new location near Academy next month. According to the master plan for the Academy site, there are still several buildings that have not been constructed yet, including the one immediately adjacent to Academy Sports that will house Party City and a smaller suite next to it for another retailer. I’m wondering when those will come to fruition?

I noticed on Monday that there are stakes/survey markers in the ground on the lot that houses the Old Athens Restaurant. Does anyone know if it is going to be remodeled for something else or completely demolished?

153 Jon July 15, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Construction bids have been made for a”Platos Closet” at Commons at Magnolia, and a Rue 21 at Magnolia Mall. Also for Murphy Express at former Percy’s and Willies site.

154 Fran July 14, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Just got an email that Harvest Moon Soapworks is closing on July 31st. Gezz, just after they opened their new place on Evans Street. I’m going to be sad to see them close.

155 Fran July 8, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Saw on FB that Smoky Oaks Taproom is shooting for towards the end of August opening.

156 Bryan July 5, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Made a comment on the Publix Grocery Facebook regarding how there are opening all over even in smaller cites than Florence and the response I received ” We are going to be opening a new store in North Myrtle Beach, according to Google Maps is only a 25 mins commute” I was like really…really with this being their response I would not expect a Publix to come to Florence for a couple of years. They haven’t even done research on our location. I explained to them that they are opening up locations in cites that are smaller than Florence…we will see!

157 Tripp Carter June 27, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Sweet announced on their FB page yesterday that they are opening a second location in Florence at the new McLeod concourse. They’re currently looking for full-time and part-time employees. Below is the message posted on Facebook.

“Sweet
16 hours ago
**HIRING**

As some of you may know, we are opening up our second location in Florence in the new McLeod concourse in August. We are looking to hire part-time and full-time help! Please send us your resume to yum@sweetacupcakecompany.com or bring it by the shoppe!”

158 Jay June 27, 2014 at 11:28 am

I here the tire shop on Irby street is going to be a plumbing bussiness.

159 Tim June 27, 2014 at 11:15 am

JD, McAllisters is going into the old Blockbuster building.

160 JD June 26, 2014 at 9:38 pm

I saw the McAlister’s Deli sign right by Harris Teeter.

Is it going in at 5-points?

161 Tripp Carter June 26, 2014 at 11:56 am

Krispy Kreme on Irby Street will be closing this weekend. :’( http://www.scnow.com/news/business/article_e4681ac6-fd44-11e3-a7ed-001a4bcf6878.html

162 Tim June 25, 2014 at 2:35 pm

I see that the tire store on Irby, just up from the comic book shop, is sold. Anyone have any idea of what may go there?

163 Fran June 24, 2014 at 2:09 pm

I totally agree with the idea of a few more fine dining places. Competition is good and personally think Victors needs some…won’t go into why though. As for a B&B maybe downtown or close where people would have a 2nd choice of a place to stay, other than Hotel Florence, if going to the FMPAC or the FLT from out of town.

164 real pee dee news June 24, 2014 at 12:34 pm

florence needs 2-3 more fine dining options especially for its size. Victors is great but the only game in town right now. We need another fine italian restaurant to replace Massimos… And then maybe another similar to victors but with a different menu. Would a B&B with a restaurant do well in Downtown?

165 Fran June 23, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Spoiler Alert…any idea where on 52??? I would love to see them somewhere towards South Florence!

Evans isn’t bad, but closer would be better and probably more dangerous

166 Spoiler Alert June 23, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Dunkin Donuts location will be built on 52

167 Fran June 23, 2014 at 11:50 am

Saw in the paper yesterday and rode by…Old Cactus Jacks? on Irby is going to be Smoky Oak Taproom.
There is one in Charleston I believe and they have already started renovations. New rails on the outside decks, only thing I could see as I rode by. Hopefully they will be able to make it there.

168 JD June 22, 2014 at 12:17 am

Yeah Dave and Busters is a 0% chance.
I couldn’t even talk them into one in Greenville of all places.

About the Academy complex:
Sweet is in August.
Panera is still coming, but a bit later (contract negotiations had to be settled about direct competition).
Bonefish out.
Radio Shack out.
2 spaces available – Talking to J. Peters and a Mexican chain right now.
Party City may be out (still in limbo). Academy was only giving them a short term lease anyways, and will probably just expand their warehouse, especially since they are doing ridiculously well right now.

169 Bryan June 21, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Exactly Sean David,

I knew this was BS from the start, Columbia, Charleston and Greenville do not have Dave and Buster’s so I wish people will stop spreading rumors about that. Like Herman Cain once said….”It’s not gonna happen!” In other news I believe the new Food company opening up in Commerce City is just the beginning for the area out that way. The area is already receiving lots of traffic from beach traffic it’s just a matter of time before that area is exploding with residential commercial development.

170 Sean Dallas June 20, 2014 at 3:46 pm

I’m a recently retired CRE broker that moved to Florence a couple of months ago.

I dealt with Dave & Busters in my past life while working in the DC suburbs, and I have to call BS on that piece of news.

The chance Florence has in getting a Dave & Busters is about as much as an ice cube’s chance in hell. Dave & Busters will ONLY look at a city/metro area that has a population exceeding 1.5 million people.

Metro Florence (Florence and Darlington counties) barely exceeds 200,000 — meaning Dave & Busters wouldn’t waste their time.

There’s some logic in some of the other rumors, but Dave & Busters … never. This area is too small and wwwwaaaayyyy too poor to sustain a Dave and Busters. Heck, the chances of a Dave & Busters coming to South Carolina at all is very slim.

171 Fran June 20, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Good news! I posted on Panera Bread’s FB page that I had heard they were coming to Florence Crossing, local ads were being shown on TV but then nothing. This is their response…

” It looks like we’re still planning on opening in Florence, however we don’t have an opening date quite yet. Hopefully we’ll have new info to share soon! ”

I’m a happy camper

172 Jon June 19, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Conns is about to open beside Big Lots/ Percy and Willies has been completed torn down for the rumored gas station, and the only sign up by the new buildings by Academy is for Sweet Cupcake Company….wonder when Party City and the rest will start?

173 Fran June 19, 2014 at 4:31 pm

NW that is going to be a Walgreens. If your talking across Irby from the CVS.

Been quiet I guess cause not much happening right now

174 Tim June 19, 2014 at 8:45 am

NW, looks like it’s going to be a Walgreens or CVS pharmacy. As for the deadness of this forum, I guess people get busy during the summer.

175 NW June 18, 2014 at 10:45 pm

What’s up? Where did everyone go? So, this thread is dead now.? What’s being built on Irby where the car dealership was?

NW

176 NW June 18, 2014 at 10:44 pm

NW

177 real pee dee news June 18, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Heard HiWire will go into old FunDaygo building. Seems too small though. Will see.

178 Fran June 18, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Ken…I thought I heard that also but just posted on their fb page about it and was told…
“We have not announced a HiWire in Florence”

So, maybe they decided not to do it?

179 Ken June 18, 2014 at 8:18 am

Can we confirm that a HiWire Trampoline Park is coming to Florence? If so, where will it be?

180 mo bell June 10, 2014 at 10:17 am

Thanks JA it was Bullets. I wonder where is the closest location around here?

181 mo bell June 10, 2014 at 9:10 am

no it was not a big chain like that, so no it was not Krystal.

182 JA June 9, 2014 at 3:37 pm

I believe it was Bullits

183 Lou June 7, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Was it maybe Krystal Burger?

184 mo bell June 7, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Does anyone know what was the name of the burger place that was located inside the markette gas station at 6515 E Palmetto St, Florence, SC 29506 before Dunkin Doughnuts came there?? It was maybe around 2000-2003.

185 Jim June 5, 2014 at 1:12 pm

There is a Walgreens right down the road lol!

186 Bryan June 5, 2014 at 9:59 am

That is going to be a Walgreens

187 Lou June 4, 2014 at 11:51 pm

Thanks Jon! Clears that up. :) Got another one…..what’s going at the corner opposite CVS and Applebee’s on Irby Street?

188 Tim June 4, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Gotta change the mindset of Florence residents and the perception of non-Florentines about all that Florence and surrounding has to offer. Florence is “the crossroads of South Carolina” with I95 and I20. Don’t know why we can’t exploit that more. Should be great for moving your finished product to market.

189 Bryan June 4, 2014 at 11:30 am

More jobs to the area is very good news. I envision that the counties surrounding Florence County grow and prosper as well, in my opinion Marion county sits in a very enviable position in that it sits right beside Horry County. Just imagined if Florence was about 30 miles closer to the Beach how intense the growth between Florence and Myrtle Beach would be one day we probably will get there but alot more growth between the two cities need to occur. Once this occurs then you will see the growth between the two grow exponentially. Just imagine if there was a lake and golf course near the great Pee Dee where we could develop houses and shops around this lake and market it as being close to the beach but not at the beach. There are endless possibilities for our area

190 Tim June 4, 2014 at 10:42 am

More good news for the area.

Need to have more and better jobs available in the Pee Dee region. News like this is always welcome.

191 Jon June 3, 2014 at 8:39 pm
192 Jon June 3, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Construction on Cashua may be the new site for the New Spring Church
They usually hold services at the Civic Center, but they had something in the paper a few months ago about moving to a permanent location on that side of Cashua Street.

193 Lou June 3, 2014 at 7:12 pm

According to indeed.com, Cookout is planning a second location. Anyone know where that might be? Also, there’s some construction going on at the tennis complex on the Hwy. 52 end of Cashua. Anyone know anything about that?

194 Jamie June 3, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Where is proof that Bonefish isn’t coming?

195 Fran June 3, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Tim..that is wonderful news for Florence!

Ok..anyone? I see Bone Fish Grill pulled out but any news on Panera Bread? I’ve seen commercials on tv for them since they announced but all the buildings by Academy have Available on them? Please don’t tell me they pulled out also!

196 Tim June 3, 2014 at 8:43 am

Great news on the jobs front for Florence. I’m assuming this was the mysterious Project R that was talked about a few months ago.

197 real pee dee news June 2, 2014 at 11:33 am

dave and busters is looking into the florence market.

198 Lou May 31, 2014 at 11:22 pm

Thanks Jon! Mystery solved. :)

199 Jon May 31, 2014 at 10:52 pm

You can go to Preit’s website..the owners of Magnolia Mall…and they have the site plan and it says a drive up ATM.

200 Lou May 31, 2014 at 6:41 pm

Hmmm. It doesn’t look like one but maybe they aren’t done with it yet.

201 jon May 31, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Drive up ATM between Chipotle and IHOP

202 Lou May 30, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Between IHOP and Chipotle restaurant, there is this little area that reminds me of a weigh station/rest area for trucks on the interstate. Does anyone happen to know what it is?

203 ron May 28, 2014 at 10:39 pm

ive learned today that a murphys usa will be going in the old percy n willies location.they build their sites with a kit building,so that site will probably come up very quickly

204 real pee dee news May 28, 2014 at 11:36 am

HiWire is coming to Florence…its an indoor trampoline park.

205 Lou May 26, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Ah man! No Bonefish Grill? Bummer.

206 Tim May 25, 2014 at 10:01 am

@Monica, I’ve heard multiple things on that site. The latest is a convenience store/gas station with a Bojangles inside. I’ve also heard that it might be a CVS pharmacy. On a related note, Bonefish Grill is not coming to Florence as previously announced.

207 Monica May 25, 2014 at 7:21 am

Just saw yesterday that the old Percy and Willie’s has been knocked down? Anyone know what’s going to go there? Hopefully they can fix that intersection, too.

208 Michael E. May 22, 2014 at 9:34 am

@Tim that is going to be Conn’s Home Entertainment.

209 Tim May 22, 2014 at 8:33 am

Anyone know what is going in next to Badcock Furniture in the mall across from Magnolia Mall? Brand new store-front façade and all.

210 Bryan May 20, 2014 at 10:40 pm

My understanding is that the location at Irby and Cherokee is going to be another Walgreens. I really wish they would put it Downtown. Has anyone heard anything about a highrise going up downtown, I was reading somewhere that one is being planned.

211 Jerry May 20, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Beside Holiday In on Radio Drive…Proposed..The Park at Westside. Commercial and office space avaliable

212 Ryan May 18, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Jerry, you’ve got me curious! I will be riding by to see.

213 Jerry May 17, 2014 at 10:06 pm

What’s going up behind the Holiday Inn on W Radio Drive behind the holiday Inn…there is a sign up saying coming soon if I read correctly..

214 lovette May 15, 2014 at 1:51 pm

what is going on at the old Saverance Dealership on Irby and Cherokee?

215 Lou May 10, 2014 at 7:49 pm

I think Bill Travis is who owns Wholly Smokin.

216 Charles May 10, 2014 at 12:37 am

1031 was very good and quite busy. It needs to be a bit bigger, because not everyone wants to eat outside. I never ate at Da Massissmo but it seems every restaurant/ bar that has gone there hasn’t lasted long so I worry about Wholly Smokin’. I heard Bill Travis formerly of Victors will be doing some cooking at Wholly once it moves downtown. And it is true that Stefanos is opening a second location in the old Athens location based on some distributor info.

217 real pee dee news May 9, 2014 at 11:26 am

yes in Florence. Old Athens building on Celebration to be exact. That would be awesome! Also I heard that Bonefish may not happen.

218 Fran May 9, 2014 at 11:12 am

real pee dee news…a couple years ago I was told when we were in there they were opening a 2nd place either in Conway or down by the shore somewhere. I thought it happened but not sure. You talking about around here/Florence?

219 real pee dee news May 9, 2014 at 10:55 am

Anyone hear that Stefanos is adding a second location?

220 Scot May 9, 2014 at 10:32 am

That certainly escalated quickly.

221 Lou May 8, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Oh Good! I knew they were owned by the same group that owned Outback but didn’t know that about Bonefish Grill so you’ve given me more hope Fran! :)

222 Fran May 8, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Lou…I haven’t heard anything but since Outback and now Bone Fish are going to be here and they are all sister companies of Carraba’s, who knows. We might just get one and I agree, I’d love to see one here.

223 Lou May 7, 2014 at 10:31 pm

So….on to the next subject. :) Has anyone heard anything about maybe a Carraba’s coming to Florence? Not saying I have but sure would like to see one. And I agree with you Fran about a nice Irish Pub. Something different like that would be great.

224 Ryan May 7, 2014 at 5:13 pm

I agree with Lou and Fran. I thought nothing of Tim’s comment until there was so much outrage.

225 Melanie May 7, 2014 at 11:37 am

Thank you, Bob. Max and Jennifer are good friends of mine but that is beside the point. I don’t care who they are. All I know is if someone was saying they heard from a “reliable” source that I didn’t pay my bills, I would pitch a fit. The fact that Max and Jennifer haven’t done that says a lot to me about their character. How “reliable” is a source who tells someone an untruth? Why would anyone even post something like that on the internet anyway? People can be very malicious. It has been my experience that if you want to say something nasty about someone but don’t want to do it yourself, you tell someone that you know will…which doesn’t say much about those people. If the shoe fits, wear it. Tim, instead if justifying what you said, why don’t you just apologize to Max and Jennifer and those of us who are very upset by this? Seems like the right thing to do to me.

226 Fran May 7, 2014 at 11:35 am

Lou..I totally agree. Let’s just please move past this and everyone can think whatever they want. I for one love Da Massimo’s and am really sorry to see them leave Florence, for whatever reason. I am lucky that I work in Hartsville and have friends that also love them that will meet me after work for dinner here. I hope Florence can get another local, small business, nicer than fast food, chains and different than bbq or burgers. Right now Victor’s has the lock on that and I won’t go into my experience there ;) A nice Irish Pub would go good too!

227 Bob May 7, 2014 at 1:21 am

Lou, really I’m over reacting if you read it and it was one of your friends you might feel differently. No what I said is the truth straight from the horses mouth not from a so called reputable source. In fact Ive witnessed it myself. So lets just leave it at that no one has any right to slander or post any information about someone paying their bills or not. It ridiculous….if this was a monitored post it would or should have been deleted already. This blog is for sharing information about local businesses not hurting someone’s business.

228 Lou May 6, 2014 at 10:37 pm

@ Bob and Melanie…I’m sorry but isn’t this over-reacting just a tad? In fact, I didn’t even think twice about what Tim said until such a big deal was made of it and I’m sure there are others who feel the same way. And….aren’t you doing exactly the same thing, Bob, you accuse Tim of doing by your accusations against the landlord? I think it’s time to move past this and let it go.

229 Bob Smith May 6, 2014 at 4:54 pm

I am not sure you are understanding what we are posting. IT DOES NOT MATTER WHERE YOU HEARD IT FROM OR WHO TOLD YOU IT DOES NOT BELONG ON A PUBLIC FORUM!! Reputable or not you are messing with a small business with employees that need their jobs. How would you like it if someone was spreading untrue rumors about you around the internet. Please refrain from mentioning anything more from your so called reputable source.

230 Tim May 6, 2014 at 3:25 pm

@Bob, I’m not saying it’s true. I was reporting what I had heard from a reputable source. Because I could not confirm the information I said it was second hand and take it for what it’s worth. I have eaten at DaMassimo’s on many occasions and have enjoyed it.

231 Bob Smith May 6, 2014 at 1:09 pm

@ Tim

Definition of slander (n)

Bing Dictionary
slan·der
[ slánd?r ]

1.saying of something false and damaging: the act or offense of saying something false or malicious that damages somebody’s reputation
2.false and damaging statement: a false and malicious statement that damages somebody’s reputation
3.utter slander against somebody: to make a false and malicious oral statement about somebody

232 Melanie May 6, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Tim, did you know that people get sued for slander for publishing things like that? Their landlord did not renew their lease because they would not do things like he wanted them to. He is not a restaurant owner. Max had a successful business on Celebration and has had a successful business downtown. His food is wonderful! There are many people who went there every week. He must be doing something right. I am sick over them moving to Hartsville but I do think the downtown there will appreciate them more than downtown did here. It is a real shame. Florence is losing a great Italian restaurant while all these chains are popping up everywhere. Too sad. And Flossip, shame on you for not taking down that slanderous post

233 Bob Smith May 6, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Da Massimo has moved to Hartsville because they support their downtown businesses no matter who they are. They also are way beyond Florence in their ongoing development to the downtown. The FDDC has along way to go in their efforts and should have started with changing the atmosphere downtown instead of having parties.

234 Bob Smith May 6, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Yes it is true that the landlord did not renew the Da Massimo lease but did you also know that the landlord used their restaurant as his personal bar and fed his friends when they were closed. If you are going to post something make sure its the truth. Da Massimo also had a problem with their landlord sticking his nose in their business and telling them what to do. May I remind you the two businesses that were in there before did not do well at all under his “business acumen” in the first place. So why should he be telling Da Massimo what to do…

235 Bob Smith May 6, 2014 at 12:09 pm

@ Tim Perhaps you should not be posting on a public forum about someones character that says alot about you… How Dare you Sir!!

236 Bob Smith May 6, 2014 at 11:59 am

Test

237 Tim May 5, 2014 at 6:50 pm

DaMassimo moving because the landlord didn’t renew the lease. From what I heard the owner of DaMassimo wasn’t great at paying his bills. But, that is second hand information so take it for what it’s worth.

238 Fran May 5, 2014 at 11:48 am

@David We had dinner there last Friday and I asked Max, the owner, that and he said he guess’ Florence likes BBQ more. I’m sad to see them go but guess they didn’t have the business needed. Plus I’m guessing they are moving to Hartsville downtown cause its up and coming. I’d love to see Florence do that.

239 David May 2, 2014 at 9:03 am

anyone know why Da Massimo’s is closing/moving to Hartsville?

240 Fran May 1, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Haven’t been by there in awhile but just heard that Percy and Willie’s is open in their new spot.

Also, nothing against Wholly Smokin’ but Da Massimo’s is a lot bigger then their other place. Just wondering what they will do with it all. Personally wish a Bar and Grill would have taken over. We really need something like that to go to after a show at the FMPAC or Little Theater!